Do I need a VHF Radio to sail in the Solent?

G

I have a Juno 560, 18' lift keel trailer sailer. I used to sail (with my wife and three young boys) from Itchenor and generally around Chichester Harbour, occasionally venturing to Priory Bay when the forecast was settled.

We have recently moved to Warsash and will now be sailing in even more congested waters.

I have always resisted buying a VHF radio as I think of my type of sailing as just 'Big Dinghy Sailing' and not 'Proper Yachting'

I am only really interested in safety so: How much safer would I be with a VHF radio and is it worth the cost of the radio and the annual license?

G

In an emergency a VHF puts you in direct contact with the coastguard and in a rescue situation you could speak to and recieve instructions from the lifeboat coxwain or helicopter crew.Probably a handheld would be appropriate for you.People have been sailing safely long before VHF radio became popular.The important thing is to channel your money and effort into making your boat as seaworthy and reliable as possible making an emergency less likely.

G

Re: You\'ll be no safer..

no doubt you carry flares etc. to attract attention in an emergency. You might be surprised to find how handy one is though, valuble info on weather and shipping movements, arranging moorings, etc. They are also annoying, well many of the people using them are.

Tom

G

Many people seem to be using mobile phones these days especially close to land as is the case in the Solent.

A good set of flares is essential.

G

But a VHF does give you another way of getting help if you need it.

G

Dear Namesake, Our radio has only been used for receiving weather updates in the year since we moved up to the Solent. The almanac gives all the phone numbers of the harbour authorities etc,but I think I would still want at least my hand held in case I should ever need to deal direct with a helicopter or lifeboat during an emergency such as a 'casevac'. It's not just the cost of the equipment and licence(s), but also the cost of the training course before you can legally use it.Flares are essential.

G

7 or 8 years ago, like you I could see no point in fitting VHF to my 21 footer pottering out of Chichester.

One day a friend set out planning to round the Nab Tower for a days sail - nothing remotely ambitious. I set off about the same time heading for Bembridge, planning a lunch stop in Whitecliff Bay on the way.

Over lunch the weather closed in a bit - half a mile vis or so - nothing to worry about.

Returning towards Bembridge Ledge buoy, the Lifeboat launched headed out to me, and then went on east into the mist. It returned about half an hour later, again circling me, then went off to the NE.

I thought no more of it until I heard the news that evening.

My friend had sent out a Mayday, as he was taking on water and sinking fast. The transmission had ended (water up to the electrics?) before the CG had got a fix on his location. Had I known, I could have told the Lifeboat where to look.

They did not find him.

I never sail without VHF now.

G

This sad tale tells it all. Its like insurance, you hope you will never have to use it - but!

G

A mobile phone is better than nothing, but is no substitute for a VHF whether a fixed set or Handheld. Appart from weather info, you can also monitor shipping movements. There's also the possibility of someone who knows the area better warning you if they see you heading towards trouble. The Coastguard and Lifeboat can direction find your VHF transmission to locate you. I consider a VHF to be part of the essential equipement along with Lifejackets, Flares, Compass, Torch etc.

G

Re: You may be right...

anywhere but the Solent where there's far to much chattering for anybody to be listening.

Tom

dancrane

Visit site
Many people seem to be using mobile phones these days especially close to land as is the case in the Solent.

"these days" made me smile. But I wonder whether, considering how much better today's mobiles are than those from the start of the century, phones may be considered a comprehensive substitute for inshore use, by new owners whose boats don't have fixed VHFs.

No need to comment if you're one of those old chaps who detest all mobile phones, even ashore. Really, no need. ;)

William_H

Visit site
I might be biassed having loved 2 way radios since 14yo then ham radio etc. Bit I do believe that a VHF marine radio gives you a huge boost in safety compared to the cost. The only reason they arenot carried in dinghies is the practicalities and then a HH will still be useful and easy to carry. You may have a boating emergency, a healh emergency or see someone else in trouble. Yes of course a mobile phone might do a similar job but the VHF marine system si set up just to enhance your safety. Here in West Oz it is mandatory to carry a marine VHF beyond 3kms from the shore. (along with flares life jackets etc. ) ol'will

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
There is no substitute for a short range marine radio. I'd almost certainly be dead without mine. The radio "broadcasts", ie it can be received by anyone within range. You don't need to know the number. Phone signals are just point-to-point; so the receiver has to pick up. Although you can dial 999 and ask for the coastguard, provided you're in range of a transmitter mast, that isn't blocked by cliffs or distance. You need two licences: the radio licence, which is cheap enough, and lasts the lifetime of the vessel. Plus you need an operators certificate, for which there's a an exam, and a one-off fee of something like £25. When I had cause to raise a Mayday, my signal was received by an offshore drilling rig, who relayed it to the coastguard, and I was plucked to safety by an RAF Sea King. My boat was destroyed five minute later. Many people don't bother with any of that, and you'll spot them because they have no idea how to use the radio.

Boathook

Visit site
"these days" made me smile. But I wonder whether, considering how much better today's mobiles are than those from the start of the century, phones may be considered a comprehensive substitute for inshore use, by new owners whose boats don't have fixed VHFs.

No need to comment if you're one of those old chaps who detest all mobile phones, even ashore. Really, no need. ;)
Is this a record, a 19 year old thread! I agree with elton and basic vhf hand helds are cheap and the appropiate emergency services can get bearings on the transmissions easily.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Is this a record, a 19 year old thread! I agree with elton and basic vhf hand helds are cheap and the appropiate emergency services can get bearings on the transmissions easily.

The coastguard hasn't had VHF DF capability for quite some time now, if the need arose these days they would need to send a lifeboat out.

While the VHF is switched on pretty much every time we cast off, the number of times it gets used is quite small these days.

aslabend

Visit site
A VHF is useful in the solent as you can listen to southampton VTS on 12 and QHM Portsmouth on 11 (if you're over that way) giving you lots of info on what big ships and ferries are going to do.

Aeolus

Visit site
I agree with those that recommend a mobile phone. If you have one that is toughened and water resistant, and remember to keep it charged, then anywhere along the south coast, and certainly in the Solent and vicinity you'll easily be able to contact the coastguard in an emergency. Most mobile phones have GPS and will also give you your position. You can advance your technological capabilities even further by installing chart plotter software and charts on the phone, aiding you in case of poor visibility.

To my mind, the downside of a handheld VHF radio would be that because you rarely use it, it might become discharged without you realising it. The advantage of a VHF would be that you can communicate with harbour masters and other vessels, and directly with a lifeboat if that was necessary.

Sharky34

Visit site
I have a Juno 560, 18' lift keel trailer sailer. I used to sail (with my wife and three young boys) from Itchenor and generally around Chichester Harbour, occasionally venturing to Priory Bay when the forecast was settled.

We have recently moved to Warsash and will now be sailing in even more congested waters.

I have always resisted buying a VHF radio as I think of my type of sailing as just 'Big Dinghy Sailing' and not 'Proper Yachting'

I am only really interested in safety so: How much safer would I be with a VHF radio and is it worth the cost of the radio and the annual license?
I used to sail a variety of small boats in the Solent without any VHF or mobile (not yet invented) & never considered one necessary.
Concentrate on safe sailing & ask in what circumstance would you need one.

Sharky34

Visit site

A mobile phone is better than nothing, but is no substitute for a VHF whether a fixed set or Handheld. Appart from weather info, you can also monitor shipping movements. There's also the possibility of someone who knows the area better warning you if they see you heading towards trouble. The Coastguard and Lifeboat can direction find your VHF transmission to locate you. I consider a VHF to be part of the essential equipement along with Lifejackets, Flares, Compass, Torch etc.
If you sail a small boat, dinghy size like the OP, you will be mainly sailing outside shipping lanes, ditch creeping, where shipping dare not venture, so why worry about what they are up to.