Do I need a radar reflector if I have radar?

wonkywinch

Visit site
I just noticed there is something on the mast above the radar. Could this be an ATE? Boat not in my possession yet so can't get a closer look.

20230616_082002.jpg

st599

Visit site
Figuratively speaking of course. I'll use an electronics firm (probably A1 Marine in Hamble) to do the fit as the manual for the V60B (easiest, most cost effective route from existing V50 AIS receive only to AIS transceive) says:

NOTE: Two VHF antennas are needed for V60-B, one for VHF and one for AIS.
It does need 2 antennas, but they can't be next to each other.

greeny

Visit site
Switch the steaming lights on at night and watch it light up. 99% certain that's what it is. TV at the mast head, all as John said. No sign of any radar reflector that I can see.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Anything at spreader level needs to have closed ends. An aerial pointing down would be fine for spearing a sail during the hoist. Pointing it up would be good for a spinnaker on the drop.
If you need an AIS aerial put it on the stern where it can double as an emergency VHF aerial . On a short pole you will get 10NM range & more with a large ship. This is ample. I can get 50 miles on some days & my one is on one half of an extending sailboard boon on the pushpit on the port side. The Echomax reflector is on the stbd side in the other half of the boom. In foggy weather I extend the booms to give an extra 2ft of height

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Figuratively speaking of course. I'll use an electronics firm (probably A1 Marine in Hamble) to do the fit as the manual for the V60B (easiest, most cost effective route from existing V50 AIS receive only to AIS transceive) says:

NOTE: Two VHF antennas are needed for V60-B, one for VHF and one for AIS.
Or a splitter.
Don’t mount two antennas next to each other. There are specified separation requirements

Daydream believer

Visit site
If you do fit one of those lightweight tube affairs, get as high as you can and fix on with zip-lock ties, that way when the sun destroys the ties and it drops on your head you'll know it's time for a new one.
Mine missed me by inches-- en route between Newlyn & Milford haven. Smashed onto the deck & bounced over the side. It was a 100mm diam job so came down with a fair old crash.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I can only see a radar and what looks like an LED nav light. (Doesn’t look like a steaming light which is odd?)

I suspect you say it doesn't look like a steaming light because there appears to be a central divider between the port and starboard sides, but I think that 'divider' is just a reflection by the lens of the sunlight (which is behind the camera, almost but not quite in line with the boat hence the seeming 'lens divider' is slightly off-centre). My money's on it being a steaming light.

It certainly isn't a radar reflector!

wonkywinch

Visit site
The boat needs some additions, I will buy an active device. The mast is being removed for transport to the Solent so these jobs can be attended to then.

Appreciate all the tips & links!

jackho

Visit site
None whatsoever. Radar has wavelengths measured in centimetres or tens of centimetres; light has wavelengths of 400-700 nanometres. The reflecting element has to have a length of at least a half wavelength to work at all; many times that to make an effective retroreflector. The individual reflecting elements on reflective tape are sub-millimetre in size; radar wavelengths won't see them, let alone be reflected by them.
Just to add to the debate 3G and 4G Radars which are quite common now do not work on a pulse echo so radar reflectors etc not effect to the same extent. !!!???