DIY spray foam insulation

waynes world

Visit site
I wouldn’t dare use anything like that on a boat. Probably highly flammable.

There is always fired rated foam. And if you think about it, If the flames get to the foam to the foam then i dont think there is much else cam be done as the rest will have burned out first. the ply lining etc thats is over the foam will be first to go.

waynes world

Visit site
B1 = low flammability. B2 = normal flammability. B3 = high flammability.
they are all flammable!

only if you set fire to them. as said before on here. By time its on fire there will be already to much damage. Folk need to chill out a bit and think about it more. Its a bleeding plastic or wooden boat.

Falcoron

Visit site
Yep,
90% of materials on a plastic boat are flammable!
just look at the modern boats last season we all saw burning in minutes, owners lucky to escape, not one had spray foam, would it have made a jot of difference in the inner ceiling of the sedan area? i doubt it.
Mine is protected by a fire resistant vapour barrier sealed with aluminium tape, then covered with thin ply.
If the flames reach this foam the boat is fecked anyway.
look, each to their own the difference in dryness is great, the warmth in the boat without any form of heating is a lot better to work in.
The sound proofing is really noticeable too ( admittedly from a bare fibre roof to covered in foam its going to be) and will be better again when covered.
This has done what I wanted it to do and hasn't got damp and has cured condensation in an area previously soaking with it.

Not everyone's cuppa, I get that.
Done now and that's that, I've given my experience and tuppence worth and so have others.
Thank you all its been a blast but i'm going to leave this here and move onto getting the rest of the interior finished hopefully get in water this season.

Fire99

Visit site
Yep,
90% of materials on a plastic boat are flammable!
just look at the modern boats last season we all saw burning in minutes, owners lucky to escape, not one had spray foam, would it have made a jot of difference in the inner ceiling of the sedan area? i doubt it.
Mine is protected by a fire resistant vapour barrier sealed with aluminium tape, then covered with thin ply.
If the flames reach this foam the boat is fecked anyway.
look, each to their own the difference in dryness is great, the warmth in the boat without any form of heating is a lot better to work in.
The sound proofing is really noticeable too ( admittedly from a bare fibre roof to covered in foam its going to be) and will be better again when covered.
This has done what I wanted it to do and hasn't got damp and has cured condensation in an area previously soaking with it.

Not everyone's cuppa, I get that.
Done now and that's that, I've given my experience and tuppence worth and so have others.
Thank you all its been a blast but i'm going to leave this here and move onto getting the rest of the interior finished hopefully get in water this season.
Out of interest, what boat have you been doing the job on? Does it have a flybridge or is the next stop after the saloon ceiling, the boat roof? :D

On the area of foam and flamableness (if that's even a word), ETap sailing yachts historically (in many if not most cases) have a double skinned hull with closed cell polyurethane foam between the two skins. So like it or hate it, it's not some kind of strange voodoo science that just a select few loonies have used.

Falcoron

Visit site
Out of interest, what boat have you been doing the job on? Does it have a flybridge or is the next stop after the saloon ceiling, the boat roof? :D

On the area of foam and flamableness (if that's even a word), ETap sailing yachts historically (in many if not most cases) have a double skinned hull with closed cell polyurethane foam between the two skins. So like it or hate it, it's not some kind of strange voodoo science that just a select few loonies have used.
Its a Broom sedan 25'
There is a fly bridge of sorts it does not have any steering or controls so unly a sun deck which we will never use.
Most boats were balsa sandwich, been told that this is now too expensive so most have foam.
So the ones that say i would never use that are probably sitting in their £200k boats with 90% more than i have LOL!

Attachments

• bt1.jpg
    bt1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 19
  • bt2.jpg
    bt2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 19

Fire99

Visit site
Its a Broom sedan 25'
There is a fly bridge of sorts it does not have any steering or controls so unly a sun deck which we will never use.
Most boats were balsa sandwich, been told that this is now too expensive so most have foam.
So the ones that say i would never use that are probably sitting in their £200k boats with 90% more than i have LOL!
Gotcha.. That's quite an unusual setup.. A sundeck just for sunning and not steering the ship.. Yeah I would guess that some form of closed cell foam is pretty prevalent. Wood prices seem pretty bonkers these days.. And I would imagine (and I'm totally guessing), laying balsa in a sandwich is more labour intensive than the foam option..

Canopy Locked

Visit site
I have just been looking into foam for boats - It's clear that the ideal is "Closed Cell" as the properties of the cured material are better and more applicable to boat use. Determining actually WHICH was closed and open was more problematic.

Eventually I phoned Soudal, got through to their tech help and was advised that the foam I needed was SOUDAFOAM 2K which is a 2 part handheld spray.

If in doubt ring the manufacturers help line!

Fire99

Visit site
I have just been looking into foam for boats - It's clear that the ideal is "Closed Cell" as the properties of the cured material are better and more applicable to boat use. Determining actually WHICH was closed and open was more problematic.

Eventually I phoned Soudal, got through to their tech help and was advised that the foam I needed was SOUDAFOAM 2K which is a 2 part handheld spray.

If in doubt ring the manufacturers help line!
Good call. Product definitions can be a bit err veiled. Much like leather and various forms of imitation leather which you really have to be very careful if you want the real thing..

Ferris

Visit site
Gotcha.. That's quite an unusual setup.. A sundeck just for sunning and not steering the ship.. Yeah I would guess that some form of closed cell foam is pretty prevalent. Wood prices seem pretty bonkers these days.. And I would imagine (and I'm totally guessing), laying balsa in a sandwich is more labour intensive than the foam option..

The boat is an ex-hire boat. Emerald Star (owned by Guinness in those days, now Le Boat) bought them from Broom. They all had single engines (Perkins 4236) and no flybridges. Layout was the same as a 'normal' 35 Sedan. Great boat for the Shannon-Erne, big enough so you're not camping yet small enough to go everywhere. Patio doors rather than canvas too. The Flybridge on Broom 35 Sedans wasn't great anyway (too small and ladder access), Irish weather is what it is and I'd rather the lower airdraft inland.

Fire99

Visit site
The boat is an ex-hire boat. Emerald Star (owned by Guinness in those days, now Le Boat) bought them from Broom. They all had single engines (Perkins 4236) and no flybridges. Layout was the same as a 'normal' 35 Sedan. Great boat for the Shannon-Erne, big enough so you're not camping yet small enough to go everywhere. Patio doors rather than canvas too. The Flybridge on Broom 35 Sedans wasn't great anyway (too small and ladder access), Irish weather is what it is and I'd rather the lower airdraft inland.
I can see the logic. The patio doors is a big bonus. I think the flybridge needs to be a fair size to work practically. I've seen a couple of 30 footers with the 'fly' but you are pretty much perched up there like a sparrow and the ladder can be intrusive if the aft deck isn't too big.