dividing up cockpit locker?

fjweaver

Visit site
I have one deep cockpit locker which I’d like to be able to section up (ie: so that the fenders go into one place & not on top of everything else.) Also I want to cover the battery & spare diesel & oil cans. But I need to be able to get to the fuel tank which has access via the locker. Also I need to box in the throttle & gear cables.

I would like to avoid drilling through GRP wherever possible.

Has anyone done similar or got any advice for best methods/materials/configurations?

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
I would make removeable "slot in" partitions, so you get dismantle it easily to get to fuel tank/batteries/diesel/oilcans. Make a dedicated place/cover for the battery/fuel/oil cans, box in the cables(removable for servicing), then have vertical dividers for the rest. Difficult to say exactly as don't know the details of your locker. You could glass in "slots" in places. Use 8 or 10mm Plywood.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Capt_Scarlet

Visit site
The previous owner of my boat fitted a piece of dowelling near the top of the locker, like a curtain rail in a wardrobe, to which are tied the fender lines, and anything else with a line on.

Saves diving head-first to retrieve them each time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Frank,

The sliding partitions suggested by Richard sounds pretty good, and the dowel on top will save some bending, good idea Capt Scarlet.

If you go with the sliding partitions, ply should be coated in resin then painted; consider fitting some star board runners, the white stuff they make cutting boards from, it's soft enough to reduce damage to the boards. If you want to cut down the weight, you could make the boards out of foam and glass, don't forget to cut a hand slot for easy removal.

Sounds like a good project for the winter.
I hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.