Dive, Dive, Dive

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Not a submarine question nor totally boaty but I am tempted to add another holiday for the children this year and quite fancy something that gets them into snorkelling/sub aqua. Could anyone recommend a school type location within 3/4 hours of the UK where wetsuits are not needed? Have never done this type of thing so any tips, usefull sites etc would be appreciated.

EME

www.lumishore.com
For the best tuition / water clarity/ mix of diving/snorkelling. I would suggest further afield. Cancun, Bahamas come to mind. But for me best place for learning is undoubtedly Mauritius in oneof the better hotels there.

If you insist on going closer then put them through courses at the local Swimming Pool before going. UK standards are higher than PADI, IMHO.

Don't dive without wetsuit. It's dangerous. Hiring the right gear is however possible

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
‘Don't dive without a wetsuit its dangerous'
Sorry but I can't agree, in fact diving without a wetsuit in warm water is probably the best diving you can have. All a wetsuit does, or drysuit come to that, is to keep you warm and you will have to wear more weight, depending on the thickness of the suit.... so making your diving less comfortable. Kids are much easier to teach without a wetsuit, as they are usually positively buoyant and require much less weight.

'put them through courses at the local Swimming Pool before going. UK standards are higher than PADI, IMHO.'
Again not correct. As a PADI Dive master and BSAC advanced diver I have had the experience of both, they are as good as one another. In fact BSAC adopted much of the PADI form of training. A lot depends on the instructor.
But getting some training locally in a pool is a good idea as it will make the experience that much more easier when you go abroad. Book an intro dive with your local training centre, most schools will give it as a freebe if you then go on to book a course. PADI is probably the easier course for the kids, lots of video training etc.

To get back to your original question - within 3/4 hours of UK.. difficult' the only place that readily springs to mind is the Med say Cyprus, there are some excellent dive centres and the water is reasonable around 22 24C, afraid very little sea life but good vis. Make sure you get a Brit. run school and get a PADI resort course.
This usually involves 2 or 3 swimming pool dives then an accompanied shore dive.

Once you and the kids get the bug try Dubai.... wow! diving in sea temps. of 28c plus with no wetsuit no weights and just a lycra. There is also a great diving school there run by a Brit. who is probably one of the best instructors I have come across.

As far as equipment is concerned the only things to buy is a good Mask.. Scuba pro or similar, a pair of bootie’s and a set of fins. Go to a good dive equipment shop. Do NOT get a cheap Mask, a good one looked after, will last for years.

Having done some 750 pleasure and pro dives it is one of the best recreation sports there is IMHO

Go for it.

poter.

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site
Having read Poter's post (and as a qualified PADI Instructor and Tech Diver over a number of years) I feel that PADI standards properly applied provide more than adequate safety standards whilst keeping it fun for younger divers. The last thing anyone wanting to dive for fun and pleasure is to be bored by too many classroom lectures. I think the PADI style of instruction keeps a good balance between technical instruction and getting in the water early enough to maintain interest.

I also feel that Cyprus, particularly Paphos is a good spot for learning to dive. The water is warm and crystal clear. Most sites in the immediate vicinity are in shallow water and in the harbour are the remains of the Roman Wall in 2 to 5m of water, ideal for snorkelling.

Chris

www.impact-computers.net/boat/cruiser.htm