discovering my east coast roots

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I'm rather pleased this evening... my father and I have been doing a little work on our family tree with the discovery of a lot of letters and paperwork from my grandmother, and some records found elsewhere, which has always been a big vague... my surname is rather germanic, and my grandmother would never talk about its origin, so we assumed some kind of scandal in the past...

It appears we were half right.... my great-grandfather was a German, and was interred in a camp on the Isle of Man during the first world war... we have even found the cards that my great-grandmother had to sign every week at the local police station in Barrow upon Humber as she was married to an 'alien'.

So.... the ties to the east coast?

It transpires, that the reason my German great grandfather ended up in the UK, and actually in Hull, was that he was a deep sea fisherman at the end of the 19th century, operating on a wooden, sail powered fishing boat in the Arctic circle for most of his life, and met and fell in love with an English girl as a young man visiting the North sea ports... reading recollections of the life of the Arctic fisherman of that era brings a lump to my throat... one of the hard men of a time gone by... he has my utter respect. He eventually retired from the fishing industry, and ended up as the chief engineer on one of the small ferries crossing the humber, before being interred as war broke out.

And the scandal?

He was so offended by the treatment he faced by being interred, that after the war, he abandoned his family, and went back to Germany.

I am really chuffed if I am honest... I have often wondered why the sea was in my blood... and there it is... someone to look up to. A real seaman of a time when it really meant the difference between life and death... and an east coaster!

Last edited:

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Welcome to the club Neil! My Great Great Grandfather was also German (well Prussian to be pedantic, Germany didn't actually exist as such then). He was a seaman who met and married a lass from Hartlepool. Weirdly, they too separated shortly after the first war although he stayed in this country dying in North London in the early fifties. I've no idea whether he was interred during either war but the family did change it's name from Pettke to Peckett (a good solid Yorkshire name, that and probably selected from a street sign as they lived two roads along from Peckett Street in Hartlepool in the early 1900s)

We'll have to stop drinking pints and start quaffing steins I suppose!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
My mother's maiden name was Bizzell. There is mention of something French so we stopped looking ;-)

Hmm, my immediate reaction to that name would be to suspect it as being a variant of Bissell (z's and s's being basically interchangeable in ye days of olde!) and I'd be casting an eye towards Yorkshire in that case

However, as my own surname demonstrates that can often be a red herring because I spent, literally, years, a good few hundred hours and quite a bit of money too trying to find the missing link between my Great Grandmother and the rest of the Peckett family only to discover quite by chance that her father was the aforementioned Prussian seaman called Paul Pettke, not a Yorkshire Peckett at all!

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
My paternal family is Yorkshire based. It is where I get my generosity!

All my previous generations have gone, we did have a try at the Broadley side and got back a few generations but didn't find any scandle, a few vicars but nothing was proven!

My great great uncle was in the Royal Flying Corps and was killed at the end of WW1. Family comment was it was after the armistice.

Last edited:

ex-Gladys

Visit site
After "O" levels, I decided to dedicate some time in Penzance Library to do a cheapskate trace of some Family History (i.e. using Parish Records, rather than the Register of BMD). With some judicious searching for alternative spellings (which tended to occur when the Parish Clerk changed) got back to 1328 and there was no movement out of that parish until 1820ish... It's useful having a very singular surname