DIRTY BOTTOM

MLBURGE

Visit site
WE HAVE RECENTLY REENGINED A PROJECT 31 WITH TWIN VOLVO AQD31'S WITH DUO PROPS WHEN SHE FIRST WENT IN WE WERE GETTING 26-27 KNTS BUT AFTER APPROX 9 MTHS WE NOW GET AROUND 21-22KNTS BEING NEW ENGINES AND BOTH REVING THE SAME WE HAVE PUT THIS LOSS DOWN TO A FOULED
BOTTOM
IS THIS LOSS ABOUT RIGHT FOR THE SPEED RANGE AND DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF ANY DECENT ANTIFOULING THAT WILL KEEP ARE SPEED UP ALL SEASON WITHOUT HAVING TO LIFT HER OUT AND SCRUB HER BOTTY ????

burgundyben

Visit site
Both

Both dirty bottom and junk on board, begining of year, my first boat, 32 knots, now got junk and beer and dirt bottom and get 27 on a good day.

Ooo, good evening officer.........

G

Anti fouling is getting worse year by year, blame the "environmentalists" Put expensive stuff on this year, might as well have used B&Q emulsion for all the good its done.

If you are on the Hamble, Moodys are doing a good deal on lift and pressure wash.

£ 109.00 for a 33' boat + hour in the slings.

MLBURGE

Visit site
there is the copper bot epoxy type antifouling thats supposed to last for ten years am considering that but have heard mixed reviews ,looks like i may just have to clean it during the season

foxgoose

Visit site
Launched new Botnia Targa 27 in Jan with single 230hp KAD 43. Easily got 30 knots at 3800 revs until June.

Decreased quite suddenly then to max 24.5 knots at 3400 revs.

Several more experienced folk said fouling only cuts about 1 -2 knots off top speed but the engine sounds fine to me and I think the relatively sudden onset might be due to more weed growth as the water warms up. I'm on the Dart and the visible weed growth on my Dory is spectacular.

Anybody else lost more than 5 knots due to fouling?

MLBURGE

Visit site
ours droped most of the speed only a few weeks ogo again quite suddenly <probably right about the weed growth ,engines were reving a touch over 3800 and now 3500 but both the same so it has to be the bottom ,i suppose the faster you go the more affect the fouling has to the loss of speed if you do 12 knts you may only loose a couple of knts.

DavidP

Visit site
Hi

You will probably find your props are fouled up as well, slime, weed, barnacles ect, you would think spinning round a X amount of revs they would clean themselves ,but they dont , this will cut you speed up to 25%, i know i cleaned mine and its like driving a new boat now .i went from an easy 35 MPH at 4200 rpm to max revs and 28 MPH.
I have outdrives so are easy to clean in the water,
David.

rich

www.portofjersey.je
dirty bottom= less speed and more fuel, when will you guys,learn, why don't you beleive us when we tel you;;;;;;KEEP THE BOTTOM CLEAN.......

rich :)) Why pay, when you can do it yourself?

adrianbarker

Visit site
Yep !

Just this week, had a wash and scrub at Moody's for their July special.

Can't wait to give her, or politically correct "it" a run out tomorrow.

4.2 Knots lost.

You didn't have that one the last time we saw you !

ccscott49

Visit site
Great innit' on the Dart, it's all the fertiliser runoff, which causes the weed growth, one year the river authority got the runoff reduced, there was a year of no weed, spectacular!, it's obviously back! I used to get my antifouloing from a shop in Brixham, old trawler type supplies, thick glutinous stuff, put 30 litres on! but worked a treat for two years, probably illegal, but shushhhhhhh! Great mussles grow during a weedy season, have a look under the pontoons on the weed at Noss! Used to live off them!

G

When you next clean your Copper Bot give it a light rub over with wet and dry. This exposes fresh copper particles.

MLBURGE

Visit site
My old man borrowed my wetsuit and with a couple of stiff brooms on plastic tube extensions he managed to clean the bottom of boat you could hear the barnicles as he scraped the bottom he did this when the boat was in about 5 ft of water tide running out.

he took it out today i was working but phoned him whilst he was out and it did the job the boat is back up to 27 knts.