Dingle for WIFI/Slingbox

katiestevetabor

Visit site
Existing posts on this subject seem old. Just checking that the Radiolabs marine antenna is still thought to be the best option for Mac compatible, non subscription, WIFI access for the Med. Even when we do go into marinas, being a large (metal) yacht, we often find that we are too far away from the hotspot. Expensive, but easier than having to find internet cafes.
Has anyone tried Slingbox for internet access for UK TV? We are testing it on land in Bulgaria and it does work, but it very reliant on high quality internet access, so not sure if it will work on board.

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
Seems that recent advice is either the Repeatit (directional) or, if you want an omnidirectional, the digital yacht WL200 one (in the UK). I suspect the latter is a rebadged radiolabs one - looks identical in the pictures.

Dyflin

Visit site
I think you might struggle to get Wifi in Dingle

large.23_Dunquin_Pier,_Dingle_Peninsula.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rallyveteran

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think you might struggle to get Wifi in Dingle

[/ QUOTE ]
...my RepeatIt worked fine in the marina there this summer. Three weeks internet for nothing!

Dyflin

Visit site
You stayed three weeks in a marina in one of the best cruising areas in the world?! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

For shame! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone tried Slingbox for internet access for UK TV? We are testing it on land in Bulgaria and it does work, but it very reliant on high quality internet access, so not sure if it will work on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used it on board during my trip across the Med in 2007. Mainly in Italy using either a WIND or a TIM sim card - with a 3G connection it was fine. Currently using it with a mobile sim in the marina in Malta, where the connection varies between 3G and HSDPA... I think the max I get is about 800Mb/s. Also used it on marina wifi at Lagos 2006/7.

I think the connection needs to be good quality, but Slingbox seems to work at quite low speeds..... you can always downgrade the quality in the settings... I've seen it using as little as 150Kb/s.

katiestevetabor

Visit site
Re: Dongle for WIFI/Slingbox

U-tenna is 14 dBi and has to be pointed in right direction, Radiolabs is 8 dBi and omni directional. Does anyone know what the difference in distance covered between 8 and 14 dBi in reality. Will check out UK version of Radiolabs as is very expensive from the US.