Dingies Done for!

Medskipper

Visit site
Just had a great weekend on the boat with friends of ours, weather fantastic, company was great!
Got back to Chatham and had to wait a while to get into the lock, I was called into lock first, lots of boats outside waiting to enter, we moored up perfectly and turned to see a sports boat (won't mention names) entering lock. He came in a bit too quickly but I thought he had it under control until he forget to take it out of gear and just crunched into the back of my boat! Now I was carrying the dingy on the diving platform so it acted as a great fender! the only problem was that his bow sprit just crunched straight through the bottom of the dingy completely smashing through the ply flooring! Shards of wood everywhere and dingy is now bu**ered!
I said what the hell are you doing you should be going astern! he said I cant help it I havnt got a bow thruster! well I thought there has to be a living teaching guys like you to drive boats! by the way it was twin engined!

As I go away at the weekend with quite an extensive cruising schedule I really need that dingy. phoned Ron hale marine who repair dingies and he said not much chance of getting a new floor for that its a few years old now and I can't make one in a week!

So does the panel think I should claim for a new one? by the way I forget to mention, those friends of mine who were on board, not only is he a mate he is my insurance broker! and he said its got to be a new one Barry!

Barry

I just want to retire with my boat to the Med!

Canboria

Visit site
Come on Barry lets have the name, I need to be aware of the culprit so as to keep clear.

Derek

PM me with the name

G

Sorry, but am I missing the point. Can't you claim against the 3rd party and get a new dingy?

Medskipper

Visit site
Sorry, perhaps I was beating about the bush! I think his insurance company might say it should be repaired and not replaced! I was just asking, should I refuse this option and insist on a replacement dingy? or indeed can I insist on replacement? the dingy is 5 or 6 years old.

Barry

I just want to retire with my boat to the Med!

ccscott49

Visit site
insist on a new one, yours is beyond economic repair and you need it now! Bow thruster! was this guy a complete moron?