Dinghies & Yachts

montezuma

Visit site
Motoring back up the Hamble on Wednesday evening after a tough week across Biscay there was the usual impenetrable sea of dinghies milling around outside Warsash SC for their mid-week racing. A bright yellow high performance dinghy came straight for us, his pole missing our transom by 4 inches (by design I suspect to make his point.) The exchange was:

"Get out of my way, I'm racing"

"I can't, I'm navigating in a narrow channel and have nowhere to go"

"I'm racing"

"I don't give a .. what you're doing, we both have a right to be here and you are the give way vessel"

I can't remember anything in the Colregs that excludes racing dinghies in the Hamble. Quite the reverse, thay are within the definition of a "vessel" and are obviously operating in waters directly connected to the high seas.

Are there any local "special rules" that cover this situation and, more importantly perhaps, what is the customary way of getting up the Hamble when WSC are racing?

Gunfleet

Visit site
Probably the fact that you were motoring convinced him he was stand on. Ifhe's local he should know very well you're in a narrow channel. Don't they brief dinghy racers? Whenever someone bellows at me like that I always say thank you and carry on doing what I'm doing. People find it v. disconcerting, much better than all that f off stuff!

davel

Visit site
I do have some sympathy with the dinghy guys. The "I'm racing" line means nothing, however if a dinghy is under sail and I'm motoring up the Hamble, I'd always give way on the basis that
a) he's under sail and I'm not (coll regs apply)
b) even if I'm in the channel (which isn't particularly narrow), I can always slow down/speed up in order to avoid him,
c) it's easier for me to make progress than it is for him
d) I'm an easy going guy!

It's not that difficult to avoid problems.

Dave L.

jimi

Visit site
Friendly wave + big blast on throttle on pretext of getting out his way should give him his just desserts!

Jim