Digital Magazines - What we are in and how to buy

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
With many new exciting tablet devices being launched in the run up to Christmas here is a mini guide as to what you can get your favourite boating magazine delivered on.

Print – you can still of course simply subscribe to your favourite magazine here

iPad – simply click here if you wish to subscribe to the iPad edition only.

Motor Boats Monthly

Motor Boat & Yachting

Other Tablets

We are also now available on the following tablets; simply visit your app store from your tablet to purchase your favourite boating magazine.

• Kindle Fire HD

• Nook

• Google Play (Available end Dec 12)

Don’t panic if you don’t have a tablet (yet !) but still want to receive your magazine in a digital format then simply subscribe via Zinio

For Motor Boats Monthly

For Motor Boat & Yachting

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Your Zinio United Kingdom Order Confirmation
Hi roy,
Thank you for your order on 01/06/2012 (Ref No. 1039486069).

Motor Boat & Yachting 12 Issues
Continuous Service* £24.99

Credit Card: Visa
Payment: £29.99

VAT or Sales Tax: £5.00
Total: £29.99

* You are enrolled in continuous service and will be charged automatically for upcoming issues. You can cancel your subscription at any time by contacting customer service and receive a full refund on undelivered issues. Find customer service at support@zinio.com.

Questions?
If you have any questions about your order, please contact our customer support team by going to gb.zinio.com/help

For international customers seeking a VAT refund, Zinio's EU VAT registration number is EU528000069.

33% increase - yikes.

MystereMarcus

Visit site
Thanks for that Richard, I'm one of the people who are in the throes of purchasing a Tablet (non Apple), and am considering changing my subscription to digital. I find the price hike in zinio subscription since SpottyDog purchased a bit hard to swallow. I know this is out of your control but it is now more than I pay for a paper subscription (yes there are a lot more features but there are no printing and postage costs). Are there any plans for the Android version to be free with subscription in the same way that the iPad version is?
Also, I'm a bit confused about the iPad only subscription, this is the same price as the combined print and iPad subscription but you don't get the print copy and it's more than the Zinio subscription but it doesn't contain any of the digital features! :confused:

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Thanks for that Richard, I'm one of the people who are in the throes of purchasing a Tablet (non Apple), and am considering changing my subscription to digital. I find the price hike in zinio subscription since SpottyDog purchased a bit hard to swallow. I know this is out of your control but it is now more than I pay for a paper subscription (yes there are a lot more features but there are no printing and postage costs). Are there any plans for the Android version to be free with subscription in the same way that the iPad version is?
Also, I'm a bit confused about the iPad only subscription, this is the same price as the combined print and iPad subscription but you don't get the print copy and it's more than the Zinio subscription but it doesn't contain any of the digital features! :confused:

Its a tangled web out there and gets worse by the day!

All digital subscriptions are now in line price wise with print subscriptions. I wont go into why / distribution / paper costs etc as its been a well argued subject and there are just as many costs associated with digital as there are paper.

Put simply if you want a complimentary digital subscription with your print subscription then the ipad bundle is the ONLY way to do this. BUT you have to buy a print subscription to get the ipad version complimentary.

In time this may change but I cant tell you if or indeed when this will happen.

Cheers

I hope this helps.

Cheers

MystereMarcus

Visit site
Its a tangled web out there and gets worse by the day!

All digital subscriptions are now in line price wise with print subscriptions. I wont go into why / distribution / paper costs etc as its been a well argued subject and there are just as many costs associated with digital as there are paper.

Put simply if you want a complimentary digital subscription with your print subscription then the ipad bundle is the ONLY way to do this. BUT you have to buy a print subscription to get the ipad version complimentary.

In time this may change but I cant tell you if or indeed when this will happen.

Cheers

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks for the clarification Richard. I realise that I was wrong in saying the Zenio subscription is cheaper than the iPad subscription, the Zenio price I was looking at excluded VAT.
It shows the best value is the Print subscription and get the complimentary iPad version.

jfm

Visit site
there are just as many costs associated with digital as there are paper.

Richard that just aint true. Distribution (trucking to every newsagent in the land...) and paper is in the order of £1 to £2 per copy for the paper mag. Digital distribution costs nothing like that. Sure, you can fool yourself by allocating overheads if you want, but the underlying reality is that it costs nothing like £1 to distribute a magazine digitally.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Richard that just aint true. Distribution (trucking to every newsagent in the land...) and paper is in the order of £1 to £2 per copy for the paper mag. Digital distribution costs nothing like that. Sure, you can fool yourself by allocating overheads if you want, but the underlying reality is that it costs nothing like £1 to distribute a magazine digitally.

As I said in my earlier thread I don't want to get into the ins and outs of distribution, this thread is about what you can and cannot buy your digital mag on.

We have argued it to death on various occasions and unfortunately its me against the forum world...

It is what it is...

Cheers

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
Richard,

Your thread timing is perfect as I was thinking of subscribing just the other day.

Quick question. If I subscribe to the print version, is the complementary iPad subscription the same as the normal one and how long will the freebie last for??

I guess I like sound of having both formats, but if push came to shove I would rather it was on my iPad. What I don't want to do is find 3 months in to subscribing I'm stuck with just paper (as the freebie offer is removed) until my subscription ends.

Thanks.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Richard,

Your thread timing is perfect as I was thinking of subscribing just the other day.

Quick question. If I subscribe to the print version, is the complementary iPad subscription the same as the normal one and how long will the freebie last for??

I guess I like sound of having both formats, but if push came to shove I would rather it was on my iPad. What I don't want to do is find 3 months in to subscribing I'm stuck with just paper (as the freebie offer is removed) until my subscription ends.

Thanks.

If you subscribe to print you will get the complimentary (iPad only) version for as long as the print version runs at no etc cost.

Just to throw a spanner in the works if its MBY you will get the "Apple" version which is not the interactive version that appears on Zinio but in a nut shell its exactly the same as the magazine.

MBY on Zinio is currently our only interactive version with extra vids etc

Shout if not clear as its all a bit complicated!

Visit site
iPad success

To get the next copy, I've learned to update all purchases from iTunes then it downloads. Mind you at 256MB be aware if you are on a modest volume deal. For overseas location it cannot be bettered.:)

Scarron

Visit site
It's just far too expensive!

As I said in my earlier thread I don't want to get into the ins and outs of distribution, this thread is about what you can and cannot buy your digital mag on.

We have argued it to death on various occasions and unfortunately its me against the forum world...

It is what it is...

Cheers

Afraid that is the kind of corporate stance that will see your business dying!

I occasionally buy a paper copy of one of the magazines, but only if there is an article in it I am interested in, and I am in a newsagent. I won't contemplate taking a subscription on the paper version as I wouldn't see value from it, now you have priced the digital one priced the same [ that feels very expensive to me!] I won't be buying that one either.

However, if I was able to buy an occasional single issue of the digital version very easily I may well do so, not to have that available to the market is in my opinon a major flaw with your offering and one that may prove fatal.

All in my opinion as a paying customer [who would be prepared to buy more from you but not on your current terms] as and when the print copy dies you will loose my meagre business, and I am sure I am not alone.

z1ppy

Visit site
Richard.

Can you please help? I was bought a print version of 12 month subscription to mby for Christmas, I do like the paper copy but would also like to take advantage of the free iPad version as well? How do I go about downloading it??

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Richard.

Can you please help? I was bought a print version of 12 month subscription to mby for Christmas, I do like the paper copy but would also like to take advantage of the free iPad version as well? How do I go about downloading it??

Go to you your ipad app store, download the free app (Motor Boat & Yachting) and follow the instructions from there, you will need your subscriber number thats on the piece of appear with your adress that comes with the mag int he post.

Cheer

z1ppy

Visit site
Thanks Richard.

Will give it a try!

I received paper subscription last year and they have renewed it I think. Got a little card from you guys saying I have been bought it for another 12 months but not seen any magazine yet. Will give it a try when the next one arrives

asteven221

Visit site
I tried the digital version on my Samsung 10.1 tab and found that I couldn't pinch to zoom in. As a consequence some of the text was difficult to read. Obviously pointless have a digi mag if I can't see it! Maybe it's just my tab and others are fine.

PEJ

Visit site
Richard,

I am a paper subscriber but I have not had a copy in the post for months. I also have the iPad app so read the mag from there but just lately it only says "BUY" next to the February issue. Shouldn't it be free? Who do I contact to sort this out?.

ign

Visit site
email me in the morn, sounds like you have finished!

richard_shead@ipcmedia.com

I just bought the March issue of YM via the Newstand app on my ipad2 from IPC Media. I find the text so difficult to read that I don't find it enjoyable at all. When zooming in on the text the pixel quality is such that it looks all fuzzy. This is very different to the Zinio subscriptions I have had in the past. In all a very dissatisfying experience via the Newstand app.