Difference in Berthing Fees between Maryport & Whitehaven Marinas

wingcommander

Visit site
Think Angus has hit the nail on the head. I'm at Fleetwood , 1.5 hours either side of HW on springs, bit less on neaps...... Think Whitehaven is 4 hours either side ,not sure about Maryport. Still last season I was at Douglas Bank boatyard, super place to work on boat , not to sail from.Its grim up norf

steve yates

Visit site
Maryport is 2hrs either side of high tide.
Thats probably why its cheaper. Its a great wee marina, and is closer to cockermouth, keswick and the lake district fells than Whitehaven if you want togo off for the day.
The customer lounge is a real boon.
I had a boat there for 2 years, really friendly wee place. I looked at Whitehaven but preferred Maryport, although I must admit price played a large part in that :)

waynes world

Visit site
What do get what you pay for. if it naff launch time/tide times can be a big deal, reason i am not using Glasson.
30% is not a big deal if you get good tide times.

earlybird

Visit site
IMO it could be something to do with the flooding disaster in 2014? The way the world weather is progressing, will it happen again?
If you're referring to the Maryport flap-gate failure, that was 2009. Don't think that the Cumbrian floods of 2014 affected the harbours very much.
As well as the reduced tidal access times compared with Whitehaven, Maryport suffers from being 10 - 12 M further up the Solway, which is an area of strong tidal streams, esp. at springs. It's a hard slog getting up there with the ebb starting. By comparison, streams off Whitehaven are quite gentle.

Davy_S

Visit site
Not visited Maryport, but have visited Whitehaven many times, easy access, i wonder if they still lower a bucket down the wall with a key and harbour layout in it!

steve yates

Visit site
IMO it could be something to do with the flooding disaster in 2014? The way the world weather is progressing, will it happen again?
As said, it was 2009 and was nowt to do with “floods” per se and all to do with mechanical failure failire of the lock gates.
Flood warnings are for the town itself around the river ellen and the harbour, the marina would be completely unaffected. ( As long as the gates held :) )

stearman65

Visit site
Have you seen the fees in the south of France on the Med coast?
Lived on the boat in marinas from 2001 to 2004 in the Med from Corsica to Portimao, the nearer you get to Gib' when sailing west, the more expensive it gets. Spent 4 months in Corsia, 12 months in Aguadulce in Spain, & 12 months in Portimao in Portugal, &visited about 20 other Marinas on the way. Only anchored out once.