Diesel tank leak-sealant?

rivonia

Visit site
Hello all, I have an aluminium diesel tank with a few pinhole leaks around the joints. It is off the boat and clean and dry. Does anyone have a name of a product to seal it inside that will be ok with diesel and the address/e-mail of a company. I am in greece but dont mind where I order it from.

Thanks

Peter

rivonia

Visit site
If I were you,I wouldn't even think about sealants. Get it welded. I've never in 45 years of dealing with diesel found a sealant that works.

It will be going to a chap to see if he can weld it. However a surveyor (yachts) friend of mine has said that as it is aluminium the welder may reject it as it is now 10 years old and may have become porous. Hence my reason to look for an alternative solution.

Peter

Ludd

Visit site
It will be going to a chap to see if he can weld it. However a surveyor (yachts) friend of mine has said that as it is aluminium the welder may reject it as it is now 10 years old and may have become porous. Hence my reason to look for an alternative solution.

Peter

Fair enough. Have you cnsidered a tank liner? No experience of them ,but commonly used, I think. Try TEK tanks website,they might do them.

rivonia

Visit site
Fair enough. Have you cnsidered a tank liner? No experience of them ,but commonly used, I think. Try TEK tanks website,they might do them.

Yes I did think about that but the baffle plates would prohibit it. So I am still trying to see if anyone can come up with a sealant for my tank. Thanks anyway!

Peter

doctormilner

Visit site
grp encapsulate

I have recently had a s/s tank re-welded and a polypropylene tank encapsulated in grp, my tanks were too big to get out of the boat without cutting. Would probably work for alu tank.

b sparrow black pearl

rivonia

Visit site
I have recently had a s/s tank re-welded and a polypropylene tank encapsulated in grp, my tanks were too big to get out of the boat without cutting. Would probably work for alu tank.

b sparrow black pearl

Thanks for the advice BUT I am still looking for a SEALANT for an aluminium diesel tank.
If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know.
Fair winds

Peter

footsoldier

Visit site
FWIW I successfully sealed similar pinholes on a m/cycle aluminium petrol tank using a two-stick putty sold specifically for repairing fuel tank leaks. Several years ago now, and it hasn't leaked since. Can't remember the brand name, but it was from a bog-standard UK motor spares shop. Dunno about Greece, but you could search on the web, fleabay etc.

rivonia

Visit site
try this and then keep some in your car and boat.excellent product http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-x-JB-STIK-W...=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&hash=item35ae0882afuct; and good value for six sticks each one being 3/4" diameter and 3"long.

This one realy sounds good. I shall contact the seller to find out more information. Thank you for giving me this info.

Does anyone know of a liquid that can be put in the tank swilled around and left to set? A friend said he had heard of this but did not know the name.

Peter

pagoda

Visit site
Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
If, eventually, you decide against trying to repair your existing tank there is a German guy in Gouvia on Corfu who makes excellent tanks using the same materials and techniques as Tek Tanks. He made me a holding tank a couple of years ago and about 30% cheaper than Tek Tanks. Much superior tanks to metal ones and definitely better than an old repaired aluminium tank.

If you are interested PM me and I will let you have his details (on the boat so can't do it right now)

rivonia

Visit site

TonyMills

Visit site
Hi I believe you will need a slosher! or slusher!

This is one such product but you will need research re its applicability for Aluminium and Diesel.

http://www.por15.com/Data Sheets/fuel tank sealer pdf.pdf

By the way, I have exactly the same problem. I needed to cut open the cockpit floor just before Xmas to extract the tank. My solution is different however - I decided not to attempt a sloshing repair and the a tank rebuild was too expensive so I put in a bladder tank from Turtlepac (Qld, Aus). Its been in two days and its still working!!

Regards
Tony

Borisbierbelly

Visit site
Follow up

Hi Peter,

I've got a leaking steel diesel tank and have just come across this thread. You sounded quite enthusiastic about POR15 Fuel Tank Sealer. How has it worked out?

/B