Diesel or Non Gas Cookers

ponapay

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of diesel powered cookers, how effective are they and how easy are they to use?

Are there any ohter non gas powered cookers suitable for a long range crusing yacht?

Ian

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
Diesel cookers are usually heating stoves on which you can cook (like some of the Danish "Refleks" or the American "Dickersons") and are meant for cool or cold climates. The only manufacturers of paraffin stoves still in existence seems to be "Taylors" using the traditional "Primus" burners. They're expensive but are a "classic". If you can find a second hand alcohol pressure cooker, it's easy to convert it to paraffin: just change the alcohol burners for paraffin ones. It's what I did on my US built boat five years ago.
john

G

Depends on what you mean by "cooker".

I use a two ring Origo spirit stove. Spirits are readily obtainable almost everywhere and easy to store.

With a bit of imagination at the victualing stage (and some slick pan changing at the preparation stage) catering for four on a regular basis is easy.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

Try 'Wallis'...they have just released a dedicated diesel cooker that is said to be quite good....its all about the way that the fuel is burnt by all accounts

B

bob_tyler

Have a look at "Wallas" (not Wallis). They have a stove, an oven and a combined stove/oven which run on diesel.

Look at:

http://www.wallas.fi/WALLAS3E.HTM

Their cabin heaters have a good reputation. They are made in Finland so need to produce a fair amount of heat!

Good luck,

Bob

graham

Visit site
I can agree with Ian Dutton about Origo spirit stoves.They are reliable with no pressure
involved and no jets to clog up .Also very safe as fuel soaks into a cotton wadding and cant leak.We run ours on meths which is widely available.The gimballs and panholders are also well made most of the stove and accessories are stainless steel.