Diesel heater glow plug conundrum

AquaholicM31

Visit site
Hi all,
Got a Wallas 40D diesel heater thats got an issue with the glow plug. When i turn it on to start heating after a couple of seconds it gives me a glow plug error on the screen. If i take the glow plug out of the burner but leave it plugged into the circuit and try start it then the glow plug glows fine and the unit runs without error.
What could be the error that would mean it works outside the burner but causes an error as soon as its put inside?...

David2452

Visit site
Hi all,
Got a Wallas 40D diesel heater thats got an issue with the glow plug. When i turn it on to start heating after a couple of seconds it gives me a glow plug error on the screen. If i take the glow plug out of the burner but leave it plugged into the circuit and try start it then the glow plug glows fine and the unit runs without error.
What could be the error that would mean it works outside the burner but causes an error as soon as its put inside?...

If you take it out it is no longer contacting the heater chasis so it seems there may be a current flowing between the plug and the chasis causing the fault. Probably will have to wind up biting the bullet, nice for us guys to just pull one out of the spares kit and confirm that but not an option for you I'm afraid.

AquaholicM31

Visit site
Hi David,
Thanks for the reply and advice. Had another play around with the unit on Sunday and found out that it was actually the temperature / flame failure sensor that was causing the issue, took this out cleaned it and resealed it and hey presto no more glow plug error! :)
After sorting one problem however i soon faced another as the fuel pump is not pulling any diesel through now. I can hear it clicking but after 5mins it hadn't managed to pull anything through and even disconnecting the pipe and sticking my finger on the end i couldn't feel any suction from it. Any ideas what could cause the lack of suction? Only thing i found online was this which i will have to try out next weekend.
https://www.scanmarineusa.com/wp-content/uploads/Wallas-Fuel-System-Troubleshooting.pdf

Mike

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Hmmm... Don't think we've had fuel waxing temperatures yet, which is what the article in the link is implying... I have a Wallas 97D cooker ( currently poorly as the oven PCB has given up and they're no longer made), and the pump has only been problematic when I've not retightened the supply pipe correctly and it's sucking air. I have a separate portable tank for the cooker, and after a long period without use, I take it out of its normal location and stick it higher than the cooker, so that it's not having to do as much work

Last edited:

WightMistress

Visit site
Hi All,
We have a Wallas diesel hob fitted to our Fisher 34 wheelhouse ketch and when it works it is really good (ok, it takes a little while to heat up, but apart from that.....)
I have just replaced the needle jet (needs doing from time to time) and I think the glow plug has stopped working. I will check further first, but the reason for this post is that to purchase a 'Wallas' glow plug is around £41 inc VAT, yet glow plugs from a car factors come at around £6 inc VAT. Thing is, I am having a little trouble identifying exactly which glow plug it is. Wallas install the glow plug using a threaded sleeve to screw the plug into, and the outer is smooth, to slide into the burner pot, where it is held in place with a clamp. It seems clear to me that the glow plug is not proprietary Wallas. Can anyone advise what vehicle the glow plug would come from please?

Trundlebug

Visit site
You're right about the glow plug being about £6 from a motor factors.
I have a Wallas nautic 30D heater, and bought a service kit for it a few months ago, at great expense but after 10 years of use I figured it might benefit soon.
I noticed the make and model of glow plug, and checked it out. Exactly as you say, about £6 online from a motor factors.

I made a note of the details but don't have them with me at the moment. I'll look it up at the w/e and will post on Monday if no-one has come back to you by then.

To the OP:

Possible reasons for no fuel flow:-
1. Do you have an in-line filter? It may be blocked, has it been changed recently?
2. Fuel tap / valve open?
3. Does it need priming?
4. Alternatively strip the pump down, it may need a new diaphragm or maybe have debris holding the seats off?

Trundlebug

Visit site
Hi All,
We have a Wallas diesel hob fitted to our Fisher 34 wheelhouse ketch and when it works it is really good (ok, it takes a little while to heat up, but apart from that.....)
I have just replaced the needle jet (needs doing from time to time) and I think the glow plug has stopped working. I will check further first, but the reason for this post is that to purchase a 'Wallas' glow plug is around £41 inc VAT, yet glow plugs from a car factors come at around £6 inc VAT. Thing is, I am having a little trouble identifying exactly which glow plug it is. Wallas install the glow plug using a threaded sleeve to screw the plug into, and the outer is smooth, to slide into the burner pot, where it is held in place with a clamp. It seems clear to me that the glow plug is not proprietary Wallas. Can anyone advise what vehicle the glow plug would come from please?

The glow plug is a Beru 0100 221 151, pencil type, 92mm M10x1.25, 11v.

If you search for that it'll show you what vehicles it's used in. From memory some Toyotas I think but can't remember exactly.

fredrussell

Visit site
...to purchase a 'Wallas' glow plug is around £41 inc VAT, yet glow plugs from a car factors come at around £6 inc VAT.

I have a Wallas nautic 30D heater,... I noticed the make and model of glow plug, and checked it out. Exactly as you say, about £6 online from a motor factors.

The glow plug is a Beru 0100 221 151, pencil type, 92mm M10x1.25, 11v.

Another example then of a company applying 'yottie tax' to a product. Shame on you Wallas.

DaiB

Visit site
At least you can buy a glow plug from Wallas. My 30D needs a new control PCB which they don't make any more hence it is an expensive box of scrap.
So called premium product and no parts available so soon after they stopped making the model.

AquaholicM31

Visit site
Thanks for the replies (especially the part number for a replacement glow plug!)

To feedback on my pump problem i took the pump completely off the heater and dunked it in a tub of diesel whilst pulsing it with 12v current. After a couple of minutes in jumped back into life and started pumping, my guess is something inside was stuck or dried up after an extended unused period.
All back in and working fine!

DaiB

Visit site
PM me if you want the glowplug from my expensive box of scrap, 30D. Apart from the control board as far as I am aware all the other parts are Ok and available if anyone wants them. I need the casing as I intend to convert it to a bird house!!

WightMistress

Visit site
I have been in contact with Darren at Kuranda and he takes a real interest in peoples' diesel hob issues. Also the guy in the workshop is quite helpful too. Thank you soooooo much to Trundlebug for your information. I had forgotten I had posted this question, but it seems to have opened a can of worms.

I have just done a search using the Beru number and have come up with these as compatible equivalents:
Beru 0100 221 151

Could also be Bosch Diesel Glow Heater Plug 0250202096
(Notes on this model here☺
This part is equivalent to the following part numbers: BOSCH: 42, BOSCH: GLP042, LEXUS: 87343 20010, LEXUS: 87343-30010, TOYOTA: 19850 45030, TOYOTA: 19850 45031, TOYOTA: 19850 54010, TOYOTA: 19850 54030, TOYOTA: 19850 54031, TOYOTA: 19850 54090, TOYOTA: 19850 54140, TOYOTA: 19850 54150, TOYOTA: 87343 20010, TOYOTA: 87343 30010, VW: J19 850 540 90, BERU: 0 100 221 151, BERU: 0 100 226 243, BERU: 0 100 226 311, BERU: 688 MJ, BERU: 968 MJ, BERU: GV 688, BERU: GV 968, CHAMPION: CH 154, DENSO: 067100-1270, DENSO: 067100-1630, DENSO: 067100-1710, DENSO: DG-218, DENSO: DG-221, DENSO: DG-242, DENSO: DG-400, DENSO: DG-401, NGK: 2951, NGK: 5376, NGK: DG211, NGK: Y-118 T, NGK: Y-118 T1, NGK: Y-715 R, ZEXEL: 407804-0100
Notes: Spanner Size: 12, Connector type: M 4, Rated Voltage [V]: 11, Length [mm]: 92, Thread Size: M 10 x 1,25, Tightening torque from [Nm]: 15, Tightening torque to [Nm]: 20, Fitting Depth [mm]: 32, Cone Pitch: 93, Glow Plug Type: after-glow capable

I hope this is helpful, as I think in excess of 40 quid for a simple glow plug is a flippin rip off!!! I shall be emailing Darren and I shall let him know.

I have to say that I went for diesel cooking as we do not like having gas onboard. Since we have done this, we have invested in a small portable single burner picnic gas stove, which we use WHEN the Wallas packs up, or if we need something cooked in a more timely way. We also bought 2 single burner portable induction hobs, which are great if you have shore power. A lot of effort to back up something that, for the up front cost, should be far more reliable than this. It is a bit irritating that some models are being unsupported, when there are clearly quite a few still out there.

I shall persevere with mine a bit longer (only because I am stubborn and because my lovely lady actually likes the diesel hob and it's fan lid.)

Last edited:

WightMistress

Visit site
I wonder if Beru and Wallas are in bed with each other. Cosy way of boosting the cost of a glow plug by 400%!!!
just bought a couple of Bosch equivalents on spec for £9.03 each and normal postage. I guess had I looked longer I could have got them cheaper, but I was so pleased at not having to spend Kuranda prices.

Hdp160

Visit site
Hi everyone I'm new here and found this interesting thread.
Can anyone help me identify the compatible to Wallas XC Duo glow plug (362502) please.
I want to carry a spare on trips away but £46 is rather heavy.
Thanks Nick

WightMistress

Visit site
Hi, I did email a reply to thte YBW forum but coming on here I cannot find the info. Anyway the stuff I posted is further up this string from when I asked the same questions. I have attached what I have here in case it is useful. Our Wallas 85D (?) has it's good days and bad days. I replaced the glow plug a couple of months back and have 'stood' the overheat sensor off on a couple of washers per advice from Kuranda. It works fine for a while but does annoyingly shut down all on it's own occasionally - particularly irritating when cooking or wanting to use it to warm up a chilly saloon.
Hope this is useful
Regards
Steve

Attachments

• Diesel Glow plugs for Wallas hob.pdf
    9 KB · Views: 23

Hdp160

Visit site
Thank you WightMistress..
Does your attachment mention the XC Duo by name?
I'm away at the moment and everytime I try to download it I get a download failed message.
Nick

Other threads that may be of interest