Diesel Hard to Start

G

The Bukh engine in my Westerly is hard to start from cold - by which I mean it takes 20/30 seconds of keeping the key turnrd to get it to chug into life. After the first start it springs into life at the first turn of the key and runs perfectly. It did this last year; it has since been extensively serviced, but is just the same. So - is it me? Is there a best technique for starting an engine from cold?

G

Yes, it gets to be a pain as the batteries writhe in agony trying to kick it in to life, doesn't it? I loved my Bukh but sometimes I felt it wasn't co-operating. What I learned over time was:

1. A squirt of oil in the air intake with the engine turning helped seal the edges of the valves so ensuring good compression. This was particularly relevant at the start of the season when the boat had been laid up for several months.

2. Beyond that, a squirt of Damp Start works well too -Bukh UK used to quip that the Bubk was so solid it would run on DS!

3. Of course, this all assumes the service you menioned has been effective. When the head gaskit seal is on the blink, poor compression is inevitable. Ever done your own HG ? If you don't have the book - I have the procedure all written out - send me an email and I'll get it over to you.

Peter Gibbs

G

Are you getting fuel?

I don't know the Bukh specifically but, if there is any sort of air leak into the system, you can have fuel running back to the tank. This means that you will need to run it until fuel is pumped up to the engine.

G

My Bukh (DM10) is the same. If you get any other bright ideas I would be grateful of the advice. Have you had any trouble with the gearbox?

G

Thanks to all respondees.

Jim - no the gearbox is OK. Most of what I have seen/read seems to indicate this difficult, initial cold starting is par for the course!