Did it Escape

Lakesailor

Visit site
Or was it about to be caught?

TimeToEat.jpg

Sixpence

Visit site
That's actually quite a curious pic . If the fish has escaped from another bird then its head would be pointing downwards surely , and it doesn't look like it's just taken off from the water either , wierd

Sixpence

Visit site
aha , a bit of detective time then , well I've looked quite closely and can't see any signs of distortion to indicate a photoshop job , can't see any lines from its mouth , no shadows to show someone dropping it , no signs that it's just left the water , but its head is still pointing up , could be a hard one

Bajansailor

Visit site
If another bird higher up had dropped its catch, it is quite possible that it would descend tail first, as I think that birds generally will tend to swallow fish head first (?) - so if the bird above had to regurgitate its catch it would have come out tail first perhaps?

I reckon that the bird (a frigate bird?) in the photo missed it though... doesnt look like Mr. Bird is properly in line to snatch it.

Sixpence

Visit site
The frigate is definately off target but if a fish is dropped it'll turn so the head points down very quickly , inconclusive on this one so far

Sans Bateau

Visit site
This does remind me of an occasion in St Vast when we were sat in the cockpit having pre dinner drinks.

Right next to our boat a cormorant surfaced with an eel, bigger than himself! The question was, who was going to eat whom. The battle began and went on for several minutes, then the cormorant threw the eel into the air above its head, the cormorant then opened its mouth and the eel feel straight in! The battle continued inside the cormorant as he swam off, unable to fly!

A truly spectacular sight.

B175Chris

Visit site
This reminds me of the scene from finding nemo where Nemo is being eaten but wont go down the throat of the bird who then starts choking on him /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nigel.jpg

Those of you with young children will undoubtedly have been subjected to this scene many times /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bbg

Visit site
That would be my guess. Bird catches fish, throws it in air so he can catch and swallow it head first.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
>That would be my guess. Bird catches fish, throws it in air so he can catch and swallow it head first. <

Slap bang in front of a snapper?

My guess is still a set-up. Maybe there's a regular 'feed the birds' trip somewhere, like the 'swim with dolphins' trips.

Remember, the camera quite often lies, despite the old adage.