diabetes

Admiral

Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean by "any problems"? If you mean in obtaining medication none at all. I stayed with friends in Spain for some time and had no difficulty in getting the medication I needed.
As long as you have the medical treatment form from the U.K there shouldn`t be a problem. If in any doubt, take a letter from your U.K GP if you have one, and empty box with medication name on it.

boatbuilder

Visit site
Thats good to hear as I am thinking of going that way in the next couple of years. My friendly GP is quite happy with 6 months supply , but its good to know backup is available.
The downside of course is that I will have to instal a fridge as Insulin dies if it gets hot. Still it will also keep the beer cold /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oliveoyl

www.yotblog.com
Diabetes and beer? Supposed to be mutually exclusive!!!!
Doesn't stop Popeye tho'
On a more serious note, he rarely has hypo crises, so is never equipped. I now carry sweets/ sugar in my bag, in case we have a repeat of what happened in Dubrovnik this year

BrendanS

Visit site
Where does the stopoff come?, which can you buy over counter, and which are controlled.

Not planning on abusing it, just interested that an EU country has such differnent controls

beserk

Visit site
Thank's for replys, my partner has type 2, tablet prescribed but has been told it might progress to pen injected insuline.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
If its any consolation one of my line handlers for the Panama Canal transit had diabetes. He was sailing round the world with his wife and two children in a 37 ft boat and had to take regular injections via a needle which he appeared to stick in his stomach area.

It never appeared to restrict or trouble him. After Panama I saw them in the Galapagos and in Tahiti. He seemed to have no problem with picking up his supplies of insulin in either the Caribbean or the South Pacific and as far as I know they are all back safely in Europe.

Like water, medical supplies are pretty easily obtainable throughout the world provided you know what to ask for and in most countries a Doctors prescription is not necessary.

Whilst I understand the need for refrigeration for the medicines and for a proper diet there appears to be no reason for this medical condition to restrict ones cruising horizons.

Michael

lille_bee

Visit site
Brendan, the rules regarging which drugs are sold with or without prescription in different EU countries are an absolute nightmare. There's very little logic, and I have first-hand experience, having worked as a pharmacist in several EU countries!

lille_bee

Visit site
In Belgium, greece, and france: Lantus 3ml, box of 5 cartridges: 67.06 Euros; Novorapid 3ml box of 5 penfill cartridges: 40.94 Euros. Give or take a few cents. At the present exchange rate, that's roughly the same as in the UK.

boatbuilder

Visit site
Well not quite as in the UK there is no charge, and as you are probably aware insulin is only part of the overall prescription.
One has to figure all the other added costs, ie lancets, needles , test strips and drugs.
this looks like becoming an expensive idea, after my nhs supplies run out.

lille_bee

Visit site
No-charge insulin: only if you have a valid NHS prescription AND a valid NHS medical exemption certificate. You asked about the price "over the counter", which implies "no prescription"...

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
Most of the items are available easily in Greece.If you have your E111 card you can visit the local IKA office with a copy of passport
and card .there the doctor is free and you get a greek prescription
and pay about 25% of over the counter price. You then can claim when you get back to UK if you are so inclined.
Most pharmacists
understand english and are used as a doctor for small problems.
The local hospitals are usually very good for emergencies and
the turn round times for blood tests x rays etc. will amaze you after uk .
Good luck

adrianm

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank's for replys, my partner has type 2, tablet prescribed but has been told it might progress to pen injected insuline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Type 2 diabetes should only progress to requiring insulin if it's not properly managed through exercise, diet etc is what my team told me.