Depth Finder & Fish Finder wassa difference

Steve_D

Visit site
Previous threads about the above have got me thinking that this is a gadget we haven't got yet. What is the difference? they appear to do much the same job to me.

I don't want something that will work at speed especialy, just to help with anchoring and nosing around in close.

any suggestions? they seem to vary pretty wildly in price but the smaller Garmins look ok.

TIA

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>In brief. An echo sounder just bounces a signal off the bottom and gives you a return (depth) Whereas a fish finder is more delicate (for want of a better word) and picks up intervening objects (fish) and shows them too. In short a fish finder is a very sophisticated echo sounder.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

DepSol

Visit site
Depth finder just tells you the depth, Fish finders show you the topography of whats below as well as telling you whats in between and the depth etc etc.

Have a look at the display in North Quay Marine when you pick up your anti sticky stuff then go online for a much better price as North Quay are very expensive in this dept.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Depth sounder just gives figures.
Fish finder give a pretty picture showing bottom with lumps and bumps also fishy thingies floating about. I have been known to through a line over the side. Back up a bit till fishy thing is under. Then catch it. But it dont always work like that.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

Steve_D

Visit site
Thanks Dom I will.

I like to be a little bit clued up when going shopping so that I don't make a complete DH of myself and end up getting sold what they have rather than what I need.

Regards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
When you find the model you like search for a good price on the net and then compare. You will find that robin at SeaQuest Marine will accept a little bit of haggling on price but you get 10% with your GBA Card any way.

If you havent got a GPS then you might want to get one of the combined units.

Steve_D

Visit site
Being numerically challenged I'll go for the pretty pictures I think.

I don't actually like fish (coming from a family of fishermen thats always caused a certain amount of suspicion) so I'm more interested in avoiding the hard bits in the water.

Thanks

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

Steve_D

Visit site
The GPS is already fitted. I've noticed that seaquest are open to a bit of persuasion. How do I get GBA membership? I haven't seen any forms or anything at the chandlers.

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfm

Visit site
If you want the best kit that will tell you whether the ground is rock or mud get something like the Koden colour, see post in Foreigner thread

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
When you go to SeaQuest ask for GBA membership form, simple form to complete then pay £7 and they fill out the card there and then for you. Allows you to have discount immediately.

Then go and buy your item and flash your GBA number. you have to tell them its GBA before you pay as they ring up a code on the till.

All this info will soon be in the GBA website I am having constructed as mentioned on Friday Night.

Membership available from all the chandleries except Boatworks + as they now have there own scheme for discounts.

Confused

Visit site
Dont go overboard on the fishfinder, even the basic models work well ( at slow speed) I currently use a pirahna which is superb and even measures water temperature

the depth alarms all seem to be a waste of time because you can never hear them and again useless at speed

Charts tend to work better !!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bettsy-lou.cjb.net>http://www.bettsy-lou.cjb.net</A>

Steve_D

Visit site
Cheers

Thats sort of what I was beginning to think There seem to be several models at about £80.00 which seems reasonable

Regards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
Re: Depth alarms...

some machines enable yo o program alarm to volume / sound that you can hear
most important alarm feature is one that retains your 'carefully set parameters' even when switched off
For places like Poole harbour the alarm is very usefull - accepting that you wont be travelling at speed when you need the feature !!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bejasus

Visit site

Also accepting that you recognize what it is when the alarm goes off............./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00</A>

Steve_D

Visit site

I'm sure it will all become clear.....

when the alarm gets drowned out by the crunching glass and screaming engine!

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site

now did you have to bring that up!!!!!!!!

drunk in charge of a fishfinder - obviously punishable by (1) keel hauling or (2) 10 hours in a pub

wonder if it applies at anchor as the tides going out !

<hr width=100% size=1>

rbrooks

Visit site
Just perchased one today a Humminbird perana 4 , if you go to humminbird.com they show their full range. It even gives the water temp. also the tranducer can be placed inside the hull.
The garmin it would have been nessesary to buy a seperate thru hull transducer to do this.

<hr width=100% size=1>