Deposits on moorings

yahoo.co.uk
I have kept Naida at a Solent mooring for 5 years, and always pay in full at the start of the season in April. This year mooring holders have been asked to submit a fairly hefty deposit (around 20%) payable by the end of October in order to secure another years mooring. I have never had to pay any deposit previously in over 20 years of moorings and I had not heard of anybody else being asked to do so either. Does anybody have any experience of this? Would be interested to hear peoples views.

pikeyrm

Visit site
I do know of a sailing club near the top of Southampton water that do ask for a £500 non refundable mooring deposit. This is normally for the first time you take up the mooring. It is meant to be for your mooring equipment and then your annual fee is for the up keep. My sailing club do not do this but I do sort of understand if they put new down with each new mooring contract.
If it is not your first year with them, perhaps they are using mooring holders to generate some funds for another project.

Seajet

Visit site
Sounds like they're short on funds one way or another.

If you pay this deposit is the price next year definitely set in stone or can they jack up the price once you're committed ?

superheat6k

Visit site
It amazes me how some firms like to piss off their longer term clients by attempting to take advantage of client loyalty. Perhaps this is their way of telling you it is time to at least consider other locations, indeed you might find somewhere more suited to your requirements, and perhaps better value.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
When you say mooring I assume you mean swinging mooring?

The 'autumn deposit' and agreement for services for the following season is normal for Wicormarine's pontoons (we were on J pontoon until 2 years ago).

And Wicor always seemed to be financially OK, although I haven't checked their profile or done DD on them. Certainly they have been investing in their site and facilities in the last couple of years.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Sounds like they're short on funds one way or another.

If you pay this deposit is the price next year definitely set in stone or can they jack up the price once you're committed ?

The price you pay is the following year's price, agreed at the time that you put your deposit down at the end of the season. It didn't seem a problem or seem to have an ulterior motive when we berthed there.

I guess it confirms commitment and enables them to plan for facilities and berthing the following season. It might also reduce churn where people move their boats to other yards.

jaypea

Visit site
It seems odd that with such a change in policy they haven't issued a note of explanation, its seems eminently reasonable to ask for one.
The only comparison i can offer is my experience of Beaulieu River where we have a swinging mooring.
1) they appreciate advice in Dec/Jan as too whether renewal is required for the following 1stApr- 31stMch period.
2)if payment for the next year is made in full by 31st Jan [i.e 3mths before current mooring expires!] 10% reduction is granted
3)thereafter, full payment. I know you can pay monthly but uncertain as too whether this attracts any surcharge.
Hope you reach acceptable terms for your mooring.
Cheers
john

smb

Visit site
As per Mr Layabout, normal practice at Wicor for the 3 happy years we had there, though I did feel early October was a bit previous especially once we had become established customers.
£350 rings a bell, which for us was 8-9%.