Demand for marina and mooring berths soars in UK

KeithMD

Visit site
Clogging up our Marinas and boat yards. I can not get a lift out till May because the yard is full of boats that are never going to sea again.
Hang on, you've just moved the goal posts. If the boats are in a yard, out of the water, they are not filling up berths or moorings are they?

Why have a boat, not use it and stop enthusiasts and keen new comers from getting berths?
Do you want a "Use It Or Loose It" law, enforced by Police or Border Agency?
With compulsory scrapping of unused boats?
I hope you will reflect for a moment and realise that's a thin end of a very long wedge.
First they came for your boats...

Leisure 27

Visit site
I suspect I’ve done a fair few miles more than you have ( or will ever do) and due to a family tragedy have not had the heart to get out on the water for the last three years so my boat has sat idle and alone but not unloved. People’s circumstances change, illness and infirmity interfere. Think about it - it might be your turn next.
BTW I wouldn’t sell my lovely ocean going boat to you if you were the last person on earth:poop:
People posting comments like yours Leisure 27 really piss me off.

Edit. PS Sorry about the smiling turd - you don't deserve it.
You do not need to sell your boat to me . I have a really good boat which I use . All the people who are angry about my post must be the ones who do not use their boats. My friends are real sailors. Real sailors will not get upset with my post.

Poignard

Visit site
Robin Knox Johnson was one of the best sailors ever. He did not get to be that by not going sailing. Why would I call Robin a coward?He did more sailing in is life than just about anybody. He must be very old now so perhaps he as health issues. I am talking about people who have boats and never use them. Not Robin. Clogging up our Marinas and boat yards. I can not get a lift out till May because the yard is full of boats that are never going to sea again. What's that got to do with Robin Knox Johnson? I think I have a valid point. Why have a boat, not use it and stop enthusiasts and keen new comers from getting berths?
A glance back through your last few posts shows that you are retired and wanting a permanent marina berth so you can live on your boat. Presumably without the inconvenience of having to pay the Council Tax that those of us who live ashore have to pay to fund the council services that you intend to be able to benefit from for free.

Have I got that right?

Anyway, if you are as keen a sailor you make yourself out to be, and you live aboard, why do you need a permanent marina berth at all?

The whole world awaits you.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
You do not need to sell your boat to me . I have a really good boat which I use . All the people who are angry about my post must be the ones who do not use their boats. My friends are real sailors. Real sailors will not get upset with my post.
I am upset with it . I suppose I am not a "real" sailor
Perhaps you can define " real " sailors please
How often & when do you expect people to use their boats to suit your criteria?
It would be interesting to know

KeithMD

Visit site
wouldn't want to be next to a visitor berth or one of those people who struggle to control their boat.
That would be a great thread in its own right - "Berthing disasters we have witnessed"

I've seen a few in Mayflower, when neighbours lost control while trying to get back into their berth, usually with an adverse wind as they cut engine power. Or they were trying to reverse out of their berth, but misjudged their prop kick and ended-up in an awkward position. The best ones end-up pinned by the wind across the stern of other boats. While M'Lady and I watched from the next row of boats with a glass of wine in hand. We didn't have any popcorn.

It's never happened to us of course (cough) - at least not with witnesses to tell the tale. ;)