Demand for marina and mooring berths soars in UK

penfold

Visit site
I can imagine crowds of these decrepit boats leaving the marina. Their engines coughing out clouds of black smoke, dragging yards of marine growth behind them, their anxious skippers desperately trying to remember what little they ever knew of boat handling, and hoping they will make it back to their berths before they sink. :D
It could be livened up by running a sweepstake on how many break down and require a tow back; if the marina has a pub or restaurant it could be decent spectator sport.

Adios

Visit site

Concerto

Visit site
If you zoom in on this map and play around with selected designations you'll find every inch of mud around the coast is somehow "special".

https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap...4155:705095&useDefaultbackgroundMapping=false
Wow, someone has been very busy whilst we poor sailors have been out sailing. Virtually all of the Solent except the docks and military areas have been made "special". In my area of the Medway, the whole river is covered. Any potential marina site would certainly have a massive uphill struggle to get built.

KeithMD

Visit site
Like me he declined their kind offer, he is now at Mayflower.

Can anyone comment further on Mayflower?

We were in Mayflower for 20 years, but our boat has been out of the water for the last four years. We couldn't use it (for various non-sailing reasons). But now our grown-up children are expressing serious desire to use it.

I do appreciate it's the wrong time of year to be asking how full it is (doh!)

doug748

Visit site

We were in Mayflower for 20 years, but our boat has been out of the water for the last four years. We couldn't use it (for various non-sailing reasons). But now our grown-up children are expressing serious desire to use it.

I spoke to them at the end of last season as I usually spend some time there, but not on a contract. They were very busy last year but were guarded about the prospects for the coming season and plainly did not want to "count their chickens" Obviously they hope to be busy again but if you get moving I think you stand a chance of a spot for next season.
As you have been there before I guess you will be aware of the site, advantages, disadvantages etc; little has changed in the last 4 years or so.

PS.

Jolly Jacks bar etc closed at short notice over the winter but I understand that a new operator will be opening soon.

Last edited:

bendyone

Visit site

Try Sutton Harbour, they had space 3 weeks ago.

stranded

Visit site
Probably not useful to you but in case for anyone who might be looking I got a message from Torquay yesterday saying they are down to their ‘last few 13m berths’ which together with the above perhaps suggests things might be easing a bit.

Visit site

We are leaving a berth at Mayflower at the end of March - a Westerly Fulmar at 32 feet long. We bought the boat in Plymouth and are moving it to Southampton where we live.

Leisure 27

Visit site
It is so sad and annoying that so many boats are never used.Rich idiots and cowards with no guts or sailing abilities are clogging up our marinas ,moorings and boat yards.While real enthusiasts and keen new comers can not get berths. Boris and his Brexit have made things much worse. If you own a boat and do not use it. About 60%,.Consider selling your boat to someone who may use it. Consider how much safer golfing, telly and knitting are.

smert

Visit site
It is so sad and annoying that so many boats are never used.Rich idiots and cowards with no guts or sailing abilities are clogging up our marinas ,moorings and boat yards.While real enthusiasts and keen new comers can not get berths. Boris and his Brexit have made things much worse. If you own a boat and do not use it. About 60%,.Consider selling your boat to someone who may use it. Consider how much safer golfing, telly and knitting are.
Wow. 60%?!

So for those of us who work Monday to Friday, but use our boats pretty much every weekend (2 days out of 7 = 28.5%)... We should sell up and take up knitting?

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I suspect I’ve done a fair few miles more than you have ( or will ever do) and due to a family tragedy have not had the heart to get out on the water for the last three years so my boat has sat idle and alone but not unloved. People’s circumstances change, illness and infirmity interfere. Think about it - it might be your turn next.
BTW I wouldn’t sell my lovely ocean going boat to you if you were the last person on earth:poop:
People posting comments like yours Leisure 27 really piss me off.

Edit. PS Sorry about the smiling turd - you don't deserve it.

Last edited:

SaltyC

Visit site
Wow. 60%?!

So for those of us who work Monday to Friday, but use our boats pretty much every weekend (2 days out of 7 = 28.5%)... We should sell up and take up knitting?

If used weekends, lots of use. Many are used but do not move.

From the other side, I was once accosted by a berth holder because my boat 'hadn't been out for ages' he went to the marina at weekends, I went Mon - Fri. He then realised I had more use than he.

Just because you don't see a boat move doesn't mean it doesn't.

Concerto

Visit site
I can understand leisure 27's feelings, but most marinas will tell you 85% of the boats rarely, if at all, leave their berths. My marina has a rule a boat must leave the marina under its own power at least twice a year. Last year I broke the rule in only leaving once, but I did sail over 2000 miles. This rule is partly to stop a boat becoming a permanent liveaboard, also in breach of the berthing licence. At the beginning of last year 32 boats were kicked out of my marina for being liveaboards, but not all the berths were filled.

How popular a marina/harbour is, does depend on a combination of where it is situated, the amount of competition and demand for berths. There are usually more available berths under 30ft in lots of marinas as boat owners have generally bought larger boats. By comparison boats over 50ft can find obtaining a berth very difficult due to excess demand, and this can also apply if just wanting a berth overnight as a visitor.

Last edited:

Resolution

Visit site
Is this not capitalism working as one would expect in the real world? Your "clogged" marinas, moorings and boatyards are presumably "clogged" with the boats of rental-paying customers, who would be evicted if they did not pay their rentals. Assuming they have paid the rental, surely it is their choice (with possible live-board restrictions as mentioned by Concerto) just how and how often much they use their boat? For sure most of us are envious of people with bigger and better toys/ yachts, but to bleat about it as Leisure 27 has done is just a bit pathetic. Better to channel the envy into bettering yourself so that you can join the "elite".

jac

Visit site
It is so sad and annoying that so many boats are never used.Rich idiots and cowards with no guts or sailing abilities are clogging up our marinas ,moorings and boatyards. While real enthusiasts and keen new comers can not get berths. Boris and his Brexit have made things much worse. If you own a boat and do not use it. About 60%,.Consider selling your boat to someone who may use it. Consider how much safer golfing, telly and knitting are.
This is one of the most deluded posts on here for a long time.

How often and when an owner uses a boat is nothing to do with anyone else. As long as it's being paid for then fine. In fact, i'd rather that lots stayed put and were not used - more space in anchorages or at visitors moorings for those who do use them.

As for the rich. - Sour grapes much? Maybe a day job as a journalist for the daily mail? or you are judging yourself as less successful than the typical boat owner

And the Idiots and cowards with no guts bit. How inexperienced are you? A healthy fear is a good thing and if i had to choose being a coward or an arrogant, cocky, reckless fool then give me the white feather right away. At least my crew will be alive and i won't have asked the RNLI volunteers to risk their life because i wanted to be brave and test myself in a Force twelve wind over tide around Portland bill.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I’ve just ‘inherited’ a mooring, right where we wanted it. Doubtless, in our part of the world, we’ve got it from someone who finally had to swallow the anchor. I daresay their boat was used less and less with every passing year. We’ll be the same I should think. I hope nobody demands I give up before I make that decision myself, simply on the grounds that they want my mooring.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
'

Last I heard, Sir Robin Knox Johnson had a berth for his 'Suhali' in a marina at Gosport and he doesn't go out that much.

Maybe you ought to pop round and suggest to him that he's a coward with no guts or sailing abilities, and he should take up golfing, telly and knitting.

Let us know how it goes, will you?

Leisure 27

Visit site
'

Last I heard, Sir Robin Knox Johnson had a berth for his 'Suhali' in a marina at Gosport and he doesn't go out that much.

Maybe you ought to pop round and suggest to him that he's a coward with no guts or sailing abilities, and he should take up golfing, telly and knitting.

Let us know how it goes, will you?
Robin Knox Johnson was one of the best sailors ever. He did not get to be that by not going sailing. Why would I call Robin a coward?He did more sailing in is life than just about anybody. He must be very old now so perhaps he as health issues. I am talking about people who have boats and never use them. Not Robin. Clogging up our Marinas and boat yards. I can not get a lift out till May because the yard is full of boats that are never going to sea again. What's that got to do with Robin Knox Johnson? I think I have a valid point. Why have a boat, not use it and stop enthusiasts and keen new comers from getting berths?