Delta anchor on a Westerly Konsort

AndrewB

Visit site
... we really are not the sort of hard core sailors that sit out a big blow ...
This remark appears in practically every thread asking for anchor advice, but sooner or later everyone who sails more than a few miles from base sometimes encounters winds stronger than they bargained for! Specially if you plan on anchoring overnight, but even daysailing in the Solent I've had to anchor and sit out a fierce line squall.

That having been said, with good technique and reasonable holding a 10kg Delta should be adequate in all conditions. Ideally I'd prefer slightly bigger, but without a windlass that could give you problems recovering in deep water.

Last edited:

NigelBirch

Visit site
I've got a Lewmar 10kg Delta on a Konsort and it's great never had a problem dragging which we did do with the CQR that it replaced. Fits in the roller fine. I initially ordered the 16kg but when it arrived it was huge! I didn't even bother trying to take it to the boat sent it straight back; I doubt I would have found room for it on the foredeck. I think the comment about good technique is spot on, anchor chums etc....

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Brilliant. Thanks for all the contributions.
This is the third boat I have used my Delta on so I'm getting my value for money.....

Drifting my own thread..... I was trying to work out why my Konsort didn't have an outboard mount on the pushpit rail, finally I had a moment of clarity, its coz the Konsort has such a massive cockpit locker. It can go in there:)

Last edited:

alan_d

Visit site
Drifting my own thread..... I was trying to work out why my Konsort didn't have an outboard mount on the pushpit rail, finally I had a moment of clarity, its coz the Konsort has such a massive cockpit locker. It can go in there:)

Yes, there is certainly room, but I would be worried about keeping petrol in a space which communicates with the bilges and the rest of the accommodation. For that reason I keep my Tohatsu 3.5 on the pushpit, and the can of spare fuel stays in the cockpit.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The 10kg anchor sits fine in the bow roller of a Konsort

When I first replaced a CQR with a Delta, many years ago, it was disconcerting that the plate shank of the Delta slid from side to side on the roller, clanking on every tack. The bow roller was a smooth convex shape ideal for the mooring that we used at the time. Later I replaced the roller with one that had a central groove that held the shank, and the 8 mm chain, perfectly, preventing the clank. We still use the same type and I am about to have a couple of new ones turned from Delrin or something similar.

bert49uk

Visit site
When I first replaced a CQR with a Delta, many years ago, it was disconcerting that the plate shank of the Delta slid from side to side on the roller, clanking on every tack. The bow roller was a smooth convex shape ideal for the mooring that we used at the time. Later I replaced the roller with one that had a central groove that held the shank, and the 8 mm chain, perfectly, preventing the clank. We still use the same type and I am about to have a couple of new ones turned from Delrin or something similar.

On My old Konsort and my present Fulmar, i drilled the Delta and used the original pin used in the bow roller.

xeitosaphil

Visit site

Vyv, Came across this for a friend of mine the other day who was also looking to replace his bow roller. They will actually turn to your own spec, and there is a choice of different materials as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replaceme...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item232e1edcd5

Don't know if it is of any use , but just thought I would mention it in case?

Philip

Huggers

Visit site
I agree in one respect: the only time the Rocna dragged was when a failure in communication with the foredeck caused it to be dropped into a patch of weed. As for resetting, I can only say that mine has reset on every occasion we have swung due to wind/tide shift since leaving Cartagena in March - every night on the hook including tonight. Thanks for the heads up.