Deks Olje? what's best?

fjweaver

Visit site
Deks Olje? what\'s best?

I stripped all the old varnish down last year on rubbing strakes, handrails etc. & thought deks olje was the answer. I did 2-3 coats of No.1 & 5-6 of No.2 but it hasn't done as well as the old stuff. DId I do enough?
If not, what's the best oil/varnish - preferably to top up rather than strip down each time?

steveh

Visit site
Re: Deks Olje? what\'s best?

I am trying LeTonkinois at present - its a mixture of tung and linseed oils with no solvents - used by French navy and supposed to last 4 years without any overcoating. Have to wait and see on that one but has a very nice finish.

tonyleigh

Visit site

Could be that 2-3 coats ofNo1! You need to spend the whole day going over with No1 keeping it wet all the time. Then allow it to dry for 3+ days before adding coats of No2. Subsequent seasons you may be able to get awau with a cloth wipe of No 1 before the No 2. I have found this works successfully but it is an onerous annual task. Once I have exhausted my current stocks I plan to revert to Sikkens which does seem much easier and receives rave reviews.

EASLOOP

Visit site

I am using Deks 1 & 2 on my wooden sloop. However I keep hearing that perhaps Deks is not the right solution (excuse the pun). If I go over to Sikkens would I need to completely strip all the exisitng Deks before refinishing ?(perish the thought). If not how would I proceed.
Look forward to replies

mica

Visit site

We used Burgess Hydrosol Wood Sealer on our teak decks too, trouble is it wears off in patches within a couple of months, then it looks a mess. Putting it on neat means the devils own job getting it off, so now we apply it watered down, which gives a lighter golden finish, but needs re applying every couple of months. I am doing this to blend in with the original full strength patches until they wear away.

Anyone got any suggestions what to try next when I manage to get rid of all the thick original patches? Don't like the untreated grey, before anyone suggests it. The decks are 10 years old, not in prime condition, so won't take a lot of salt water scrubbing.

MICA