dehumidifier ?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Not enough info.

• What's the climate like where you'll be using it?
  • How long do you plan to leave the dehumidifier running?
  • What are you hoping to achieve? Do you have just a little mould or are you trying to dry the boat right out?

FWIW, peltier dehumidifiers like this one are the least efficient kind.

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
Dehumidifier threads are even more fun that anchor threads. The schism occurs between those who claim that all you need to do is ventilate the boat and those of us who use dehumidifiers and can sleep at night knowing that our boats will be damp-free.
I left my Albin Vega from Augustthrough to the following June relying on ventilation in an English climate and had no signs or smell of damp.I had a special cover over the forehatch that allowed it to be open all the time

petibonvm

Visit site
from May to July from Scilly to Scotland, returning via Ireland.
Not enough info.

• What's the climate like where you'll be using it?
  • How long do you plan to leave the dehumidifier running?
  • What are you hoping to achieve? Do you have use a little mould or are you trying to dry the boat right out?

FWIW, peltier dehumidifiers like this one are the least efficient kind.
from May to July from Scilly to Scotland, returning via Ireland.

Humblebee

Visit site
I wouldn't bother in the summer months, I hook up a dehumidifier in the winter, on a timer for one hour a day. Works for me but I suppose different boats and users might find other options.

johnalison

Visit site
I wouldn't bother in the summer months, I hook up a dehumidifier in the winter, on a timer for one hour a day. Works for me but I suppose different boats and users might find other options.
I used to use a timer on overnight but later desiccant types don’t take kindly to being cut off supply regularly as they have a closing-down cycle.

lustyd

Visit site
In fact they are a fire risk if you just cut the power, not just that they don’t like it

Martin&Rene

Visit site
Up in Scotland, we sail with one onboard. On a cool rainy day when we are in a marina and we are cooking with the main hatches partially shut, then we will have it on. In autumn, we will run a heater and dehumidifier in the bedrooms to really dry them out. We only leave a greenhouse heater on a timer during the actual winter, with the boat basically shut up. Since there is no activity in the yacht there is no moisture being introduced.

lustyd

Visit site
Yes, I suspect due to dust build up but the wheel is heated so needs the fan cooling it. The shutdown process turns off the heater but keeps spinning and cooling the wheel for a while. If power is cut they all go off at the same time so I imagine the temp rises initially. I’ve never tested the theory, better safe than sorry so I never leave one unattended

Stemar

Visit site
If your problem is condensation under the mattress, our quick 'n dirty fix was to shove the cutting board on edge under the mattress during the day to allow air to circulate. We've now fitted Dry-Mat, but the jury's still out on that one.