Dehumidifier

bruce1

Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I've just bought a 13 year old boat which I will keep in a marina (with an electricity supply). Is a dehumidifier generally recommended and if so is there anything in particular I should look out for when buying one?

Thanks

Bruce

S

Skyva_2

There has been a useful thread on this in the last few days - just search on dehumidifier. Sailing Today reviewed them recently.

Regards,
Keith

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Emptying the Solent with a teaspoon

Dehumidifiers are generally said to be "a good idea". I have one.

The thing I havent got my head around, is that you leave your boat ventilated to the open air. I have slats in the wash boards and four large dorades which together make for good air movement....but....as the air moves it brings in fresh - damp - air into the boat.

First concern is that I'd have more success emptying the Solent with a tea spoon. Secondly, am I dehumidifying the atmosphere and contributing to global warming?

Answers on a post card pls.....

zefender

Visit site
Re: Emptying the Solent with a teaspoon

I use a de-humidifier too but share your concern as to whether its worth it. It's a bit like suggesting that since warm escapes from your home to the cold outside, there's no point in heating it at all. Yes, damper air will enter a boat, and dryer air will exit. But that's no reason per se not to use them. I notice the difference although I don't have measurements to prove it.

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I've used one for years because often I race up to Christmas and there's nothing like a miserable drizzly November day to get everything damp inside. The cost of a dehummer and its electricity is cheap compared to the costs associated with mildew and rotting upholstery. I got the cheapest I could find from B&Q, and it's doing fine.

Two things I've found...

Block up all your vents, slats, dorades. You can get it pretty dry inside then.

If you get a cheapo one, don't run it continually. In winter the plates will ice up and then lose efficiency. Get a timer and have it come on and off every few hours.

I've also heard that you shouldn't over-dry wooden boats with a dehummer.

EdEssery

Visit site
The ones in ST are way over priced. Go to a DIY shop and get one. I got an LF2000 with an automatic Humidistat, auto defrost and continuous drainage option from Homebase for £89 this time last year.

It has castors on the bottom which, when turned the right way, sit just inside the rim of the galley sink allowing it to sit securely on top of the sink and drain into it.

Along with a 500W Greenhouse heater with a frost prevention setting, it kept the boat dry and above freezing last winter.

Ed

MG C27 Skybird

JerryHawkins

Visit site
B&Q

I also got one of the cheap ones from B&Q. Not the very cheapest (I think mine was about £120); it has auto defrost (not hot gas though) and a humidistat to stop over-drying. Without it during damp winter days the relative humidity in the boat can be 80-90%, but with it running it sits between 50-60%. This means that for any given temperature, the boat 'feels' warmer and is certainly more comfortable.

I sit mine next to the galley sink and lead a hose from its permanent drain into the sink.

Cheers,

Jerry

incognito

N/A
Visit site
Just to add my vote for DH set to 60%RH + Greenhouse heater set to anti-frost. I close all ventilation when leaving, else it will be on all the time! If the last cruise had been a bit over-wet, then I also leave cupboards and undercushion access open, all interior doors open as well.

Most important is that the boat SMELLS sweet and dry.

(Unfortunately, I bought an expensive DH, before I knew there were cheaper).