Dehumidifier or not?

pessimist

Visit site
Finally got to the boat this weekend and discovered it was really quite damp. Having heard the tales of dehumidifiers bursting into flames we stopped using one on the last boat and tended not to have a damp problem.
So what ist he current thinking dehumidifier or not? If yes, which one is recommended?
A further question, new boat is a cat and the only seacock which can conveniently be used for a drain is the galley sink in the starboard hull. I rather think that a dehumidifier would b better situated on the bridgdeck between the two hulls with a pipe to the sink. I am concerned that this would leave the hulls to get damp so am considering a greenhouse type heater in each hull. Schoolboy physics suggests to me that the warmer air should rise and be dealt with by the dehumidifier. Wishful thinking, or could it work? If not, any other suggestions?
Thanks.

asteven221

Visit site
I use a Meaco Desiccant dehumidifier every winter and can't see any reason not to continue with it. I aware of the stories about fires and yes it does concern me a bit, however I take the view that my life is overloaded with electrical stuff on 24/7. The list is endless if you start to add up everything. I don't spend my day worrying about all the things in my house or office bursting in to flames, so why worry about the boat? Obviously we take care to use decent equipment and not old worn out kit. I have a temp sensing device on board that will alert me by text to anything unusual. I have a bar heater that comes on before the dehumidifier to make sure that there isn't any freezing water in the unit. I understand frozen water in a dehumidifier can cause a lot of problems with them.

The dehumidifier industry would be in a spot of bother if their products regularly burst in to flames. There must be millions of these things working every day and how many do we read about bursting in to flames? Clearly the answer is none, although there is always someone that's heard of it happening. It's the internet after all.

CLB

Visit site
Dehumidifiers are used to great effect in houses, numerous rooms over two floors. I don't think one would have a problem scavenging moisture from other parts of the boat.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If a dehumidifier continues to pull water from the air in your boat for more than a few hours, it is because water is getting into your boat. That's the problem which needs fixed. People who for some reason can't stop water getting in report that dehumidifiers are useful to mitigate the effects.

markspark7

Visit site
Sealey SDH50 50 litre commercial compressor dehumidifier

This is what i have on my boat 39ft Flybridge. has a large collection bin inside so no need for drainage although can be connected directly to a hose if you wanted.
Can also set the humidity level so it only comes on once the humidity raises above required amount.
Appreciate it's bigger than what most people would use but works very well for me . Even cleans out the bilge if you leave it long enough ;);)

jdc

Visit site
I've used a dehumidifier in my boat each winter for 15 years or more and would not be without it. The diference to the state of the bedding, fabrics and indeed woodwork is really worthwhile. I suppose some do catch fire, just as fridges and freezers can, but do you turn off your home freezer when going out? Or make sure never to leave the dishwasher or washing machine on (both of which cause house fires as often as a dehumidifier)?

RupertW

Visit site
If a dehumidifier continues to pull water from the air in your boat for more than a few hours, it is because water is getting into your boat. That's the problem which needs fixed. People who for some reason can't stop water getting in report that dehumidifiers are useful to mitigate the effects.
There is a lot of moisture in the panelling, cushions, bedding and clothes plus of course any small amounts of air that seep in, so I agree after a few days the amount should level off but it is so infinitely better than those boats owned by people with no sense of smell who recommended ventilation only.

pvb

Visit site
There is a lot of moisture in the panelling, cushions, bedding and clothes plus of course any small amounts of air that seep in, so I agree after a few days the amount should level off but it is so infinitely better than those boats owned by people with no sense of smell who recommended ventilation only.

You reckon my sense of smell is non-existent?

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Perhaps because it's drawing air in from outside? Called "ventilation".

fearmhuir

Visit site
I use a Meaco Desiccant dehumidifier every winter and can't see any reason not to continue with it. I aware of the stories about fires and yes it does concern me a bit,

I have been using a dessicant dehumidifier for the last 15 years every winter on my boat. Dessicant dehumidiers are used by collectors of vintage cars to keep their priceless beauties in top condition, apparently because there is little chance of this type catching fire as it has no compressor.
A second advantage of the dessicant type is that it will continue to suck in moisture down to 1 degree Centigrade, and even if the temperature drops below freezing it won't damage the unit, and it will start extracting moisture once the temperature is above freezing. Compressor based units cease extracting moisture much earlier, and if run during freezing conditions, moisture can freeze on the condenser and damage the unit, possibly causing a fire. Most compressor dehumidifiers have a warning in the small print not to be used below 15 degrees C.
Third advantage is that most dessicant units will reset to the original settings after a power outage, whereas a lot of compressor types just stay off.
The dessicant type are more expensive, but for peace of mind they are the only one that I would leave unattended for long periods on a boat during the winter months.
These are just my opinions, passing on information that I gleaned when researching which one to buy.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Electrical dehumidifiers are the work of the devil. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

Do you hang your washing out in a sealed room with a dehumidifier, no you hang it out to dry.

CLB

Visit site
Electrical dehumidifiers are the work of the devil. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

Do you hang your washing out in a sealed room with a dehumidifier, no you hang it out to dry.

Actually, that's exactly how I dried my clothes for a number of years.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I am quite happy to believe that your boat needs dehumidified. I spent a lot of time making sure than mine does not leak and so it does not.