Decent sunglasses

Daydream believer

Visit site
That's interesting. I agree about the lenses from specsavers, but I have been through many seasons both on big boats and sailing dinghies with my Gill sunglasses and never had a problem. Including them being washed in salt water many times!

Did you contact Gill about it? When I accidentally sat on a pair and broke an arm, their customer service was fantastic.
No I never thought about contacting Gill. Usually that sort of thing is not worth the hassle. Finding the receipt, who supplied them etc.

Refueler

Visit site
Up till I needed prescription glasses all time - I was a staunch Rayban user.

Being of an age - I went through Foster Grants .... all sorts of others - even Porsche ... but always back to Rayban ...

I'm discussing Ocular Correction surgery as I cannot have Laser ... if I do - then my Raybans will be back in use again !

I think Bausch and Lomb may know something about glass ?

Refueler

Visit site
Me too, mine are Oakley prescription varifocals with polarised anti glare coating, so the lenses are not cheap, but at ten years old now with only one lens change I’m very happy.

I have Varifocals with anti-glare and with light reactive darkening etc.

Talking with my Opthalmic Surgeon - who is due to carry out Ocular correction on my eyes - he showed me the problem with ALL glasses ....

We take out our glass cleaning cloth supplied with our glasses ... we clean the lenses. Over time - the lenses get microscopically scratched ... we don't notice the reduction in clarity - but boy when he put my glasses into the machine vs new glass .... the difference was astounding.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I have Varifocals with anti-glare and with light reactive darkening etc.

Talking with my Opthalmic Surgeon - who is due to carry out Ocular correction on my eyes - he showed me the problem with ALL glasses ....

We take out our glass cleaning cloth supplied with our glasses ... we clean the lenses. Over time - the lenses get microscopically scratched ... we don't notice the reduction in clarity - but boy when he put my glasses into the machine vs new glass .... the difference was astounding.
The idea of using and old, not freshly laundered, cloth on even cheap sunglasses is grating on me and I NEVER do that. I throw the lens cleaning cloth away after a few uses.

Normally...
  • Wash hands.
  • Clean under a faucet with soap and flowing water.
  • Shake dry.
  • Final light dry with clean jersey. A clean tee shirt tail will do in a pinch, but not if soiled.
  • As for cleaning when water is not available ... don't is the best advice. Just deal with it.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I use a large squirty bottle of vehicle car window wash. Cheap & cleans the glass very well. I pay extra for scratch resistent lenses.

Of course they do get very dirty. My family told me to hang mine on cords around my neck. They noticed that I dribble lots of food during lunch & the glasses would trap a lot. They suggested that it would come in handy for a snack, with coffee around 16.00 hours, often following my after dinner snooze.

Caring p..s taking lot my family :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I dislike bifocals for many things (computer work, shop work, rock climbing, yard work) but I find them very handy on the boat, driving, and cycling. The break falls at the dash/deck level, so I don't notice it and can see both distance and the instruments. Much better than the constant on-and-off. They took a little getting used to, but it is better for some things.

Transitions vs. a line is individual; transitions seems to favor people who need a correction both near and far and never take them off, where as people who need glasses only for reading often favor the larger vision areas available with a line bifocal.

RedFrog

Visit site
Oakley here and now a prescription pair. Sign up to their MVP (mailing list) and you'll see come autumn genuine 50% sales.

I've had a pair of the Gill after a couple of expensive losses, they were great (and float) but have gone back to the Oakley.

If you are desperate there's a couple of pairs of polarized prism under our boat...

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Oakley here and now a prescription pair. Sign up to their MVP (mailing list) and you'll see come autumn genuine 50% sales.

I've had a pair of the Gill after a couple of expensive losses, they were great (and float) but have gone back to the Oakley.

If you are desperate there's a couple of pairs of polarized prism under our boat...
I have a pair of prescription Oakleys in my basket, pleased to see that quite a few recommend them. I’ve had Bolle up to now, they’re really really goid on the water, but I can’t get more than 2 seasons out of a pair. My half jackets lasted 6 years.

Zing

Visit site
Maui Jim or Costa del Mar, but many others are fine. Those brands have some heavy solid made models and that’s what you want - it’s a tool, not a fashion statement. Find a pair with glass lenses, they remain scratch free so much longer. Also wrap round style to prevent reflections and side glare and better protection. I go for grey tint - gives a better, nicer colour rendition IMHO. Polarised too. They work fine with my MFDs BTW.

Refueler

Visit site
The polarisation factor and screens ..... the 'polarisation' direction of the screen determines whether viewable with polarised glasses.

I have some older screens - such as my Casio Handheld FX computer - with ploarised glasses on - the screen is just matt black squares .... but my newer Android tablets are fine ...

harvey38

Visit site
Up till I needed prescription glasses all time - I was a staunch Rayban user.

Being of an age - I went through Foster Grants .... all sorts of others - even Porsche ... but always back to Rayban ...

I'm discussing Ocular Correction surgery as I cannot have Laser ... if I do - then my Raybans will be back in use again !

I think Bausch and Lomb may know something about glass ?
I already have ocular implants, Carl Zeiss are now a permanent fixture, bloody good too, hence my need for some quality sunnies.

Crowblack

Visit site
That's interesting. I agree about the lenses from specsavers, but I have been through many seasons both on big boats and sailing dinghies with my Gill sunglasses and never had a problem. Including them being washed in salt water many times!

Did you contact Gill about it? When I accidentally sat on a pair and broke an arm, their customer service was fantastic.
Have also used Gill for many years, floaty wrapround type so get some protection from side.

Although not used Gill's customer service for my sunglasses have for clothing, notably a mid layer jacket which was several years old with a zip problem - they repaired it - no quibble.

Refueler

Visit site
I already have ocular implants, Carl Zeiss are now a permanent fixture, bloody good too, hence my need for some quality sunnies.
Did you have the full spectrum Ocular or just normal vision set ?

I have been given option of full - needs no glasses at all reading or normal .... or the limited option that I would still use reader glasses.

At 67 yrs old ... I am considering just the limited and accept reading glasses ....