Decent sunglasses

harvey38

Visit site
I'm fed up of buying sunglasses from Amazon that for the price, £20ish give good polarised vision but the lens start to delaminate after a short period of time, I don't want to spend a fortune, max. £75 but would like something that looks good and lasts.

Recommendations gratefully accepted

TimfromMersea

Boat at West Mersea, Essex. Live in Wivenhoe, Esse
Visit site
I'm fed up of buying sunglasses from Amazon that for the price, £20ish give good polarised vision but the lens start to delaminate after a short period of time, I don't want to spend a fortune, max. £75 but would like something that looks good and lasts.

Recommendations gratefully accepted
Google ‘Kyloe in the Wild’. Excellent sunglasses and currently 2 for price of 1. Only £55 or so for two pairs. Very good quality for the price and all polarised

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Don't hold to a tight budget on sunglasses, eyes are very important. I spend £150+ on sunnies for decent eye protection, essential if you spend much time on the water. I've spent too much time in the opthalmology department to buy cheap sunnies. I buy Maui Jim's but others in a similar price range are just as good I'm sure, ask at an optician's, not a corner shop....

andyc352

Visit site
I’m a big fan of Gill classic wraparound sunglasses. Living in Portugal, the sun is fierce year round and they get a lot of use on land and sea. I’m on my 2nd pair in 6 years and still wear the old ones sometimes when doing messy jobs outside.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
a. Polarizing is not so great if you have some LCD displays.
b. Price has nothing to do with blocking UV. Any polycarbonate lens will do that with very high efficiency.

I'm not sayin' the dollar store (pound shop) is the best place to shop, but there is a whole lot of exagerasion in advertising out there. I've found quality safety glasses through industrial suppliers to be economical, rugged, and very clear. They all get salt spray on them soon enough anyway.

lustyd

Visit site
Also consider eye protection against objects. Oakley certify theirs as safety glasses as well as sunglasses so in addition to wearing them to protect against the sun you can wear them while mowing the lawn or doing diy. They’re also one of the few that actually test for optical clarity so they don’t have any odd lensing effects

Daydream believer

Visit site
I hang 2 pairs of glasses on cords around my neck. One pair long range. The other for short range & reading. So naturally , when I change over I just flick one off & it hangs on the cords.
One day in Holland my eyes were aching ftom the sun so my wife loaned me her £130 Raybans.
As we tied up to a pontoon I wanted to see better. You can guess what happened :oops:
I did not even know that I had just chucked them in the b..y dock until she shouted abuse at me:eek:

RupertW

Visit site
Long periods at sea taught me that brown lenses are far better at cutting out all that blue blindness which is tiring.

I bought some lovely RayBans for my recent Atlantic crossing but as it made LCDs nearly impossible to read I kept them for dinghy trips and on land. The old cheapie FCUK wraparounds were perfect at sea.

Daydream believer

Visit site
+1 for GIll
Sorry to say thay I totally disagree. Useless. I got salt water on mine & they degraded in a season.
Have to say that my subscription polariod, (long range) glasses from Spec savers are fairly good & I can read the instruments on the deck just by a slight tilt of the head. I have no problem if I want to read my Garmin Echomax plotter

dankilb

Visit site
DeWalt wrap around safety sun glasses, top line UV filter, almost unbreakable and so cheap you can have loads everywhere.
Why pay £s for a name?
Went out on a neighbour’s Pogo for the first time on Sunday - great fun, even in light winds, and none of the crew commented on the fact the only sunnies I could find were DeWalt safety specs!

Not sure they’re polarised, though? A reputable and cheap source of a polarised equivalent would do me for life!

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Sorry to say thay I totally disagree. Useless. I got salt water on mine & they degraded in a season.
Have to say that my subscription polariod, (long range) glasses from Spec savers are fairly good & I can read the instruments on the deck just by a slight tilt of the head. I have no problem if I want to read my Garmin Echomax plotter

That's interesting. I agree about the lenses from specsavers, but I have been through many seasons both on big boats and sailing dinghies with my Gill sunglasses and never had a problem. Including them being washed in salt water many times!

Did you contact Gill about it? When I accidentally sat on a pair and broke an arm, their customer service was fantastic.