Deadrise ?

tcm

Visit site
Re: calling petem

Don't know that much about them. But petem, another poster hereabouts, had one of these. The engines are the thing - what engines do they have? You want diesels, which sell well.

terryw

Visit site
Re: Have a look at Doral

We went to the LBS twice this year, and visited just about every boat there. There was one make that just kept drawing us back (over 5 visits) and that was Doral. It looks great, oozes quality, has lots of nice features which are missing on other makes in this price range, and is made in Canada, which not only means it is well built, but also reasonably priced because of the value of the Canadian Dollar.
We are only buying a 25' with single petrol, and 18 degree deadrise, but its sea trial was fantastic. (www.doralboat.com).

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Sorry Matt, dozing again. At last.....

Something I really am an expert on!

Hull very similar on both boats.

T30 has extra windows in coach roof. Therefore is a lot lighter inside. Invaluable in dark UK if you're staying on board.

T29 does indeed have a larger cockpit but is on two levels therefore slightly less intimate that T30.

Midships berth is also a little bigger in T30. Saloon layout similar on both.

T30 does however have better engine access. Best engines are twin KAD32's. Although they did offer them you won't find any single engine jobs. Obviously don'y buy a petrol one.

I sold my 1999 KAD32's T30 this time last year for £85 (asking £95k). Which seems like a hell of a drop but I only paid £95k brand new two years before.

If you've got the money then go for the T30. If you can't run to it then T29 is perfectly OK.

If you need any further advice please send me a PM and i'll be more than happy to help.

BTY I live in Glos so will be expecting a ride!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Bilges

To be fair I believe it did have two bilge pumps, I just never found out where the second one was! Did your boat have one bilge the length of the hull? On my boat because the floor was set so low there wasn't really one large void to put a pump in.

The only bit of the boat that ever took on any water was the engine bay. Always an inch or so slopping about that the pump wouldn't clear! If I'd have kept it I might have been tempted to fit a windscreen washer pump to clear it.

wakeup

Visit site
I trialed a Maxum 2700 SCR with a deadrise of 16 degrees last Friday.

We didn't go out to sea, only 30 mins around Cardiff Bay.

The boat would easilly slam if crossing it's own wake at 30mph or greater. (Sorry didn't read in knots)

Is it reasonable to expect a boat to cope with this without slamming or is this indicative of the small deadrise?

I liked the other aspects of its general performance apart from the slamming?
I didn't like much of the interior however!

Would other boats that I am considering with a greater deadrise cope better or am I being unrealistic in expecting a boat of this size not to slam in calmish conditions?

Are there any tips or hints that the board or MBY can give realtive newcomers to look for when trialling a boat?

Thanks in advance.

tcm

Visit site
Firstlly, a smaller boat (with same deadrise) will slam more than a large one with same deadrise.

Second, 30 knots is quick. It will need to be a big boat before no slamming over a wake at 30 knots - praps at least 45-50 feet i'd say. Even then, there'll be times when the boat will kerump down over waves, and yerl have to slow down or have plastick platese. Blam blamming along at 30 knots may seem essential, but why not pootle at 23 ish using half the fuel? I do. I'd save 30+knots for fairly flat water.

Thirdly, aside from the nutter 70mph+ boats, I'd expect yank boats to use a smaller deadrise, for more inland/protected boating , getting greater hull volume and more headroom for large american peeps, and needing smaller engines to plane.

Fourthly, try a bigger boat - a load bigger - and see what it's like for comparison?

wakeup

Visit site
I agree that it isn't sensible to charge around at 30knots plus all the time. I don't do this even in my small 21footer.

It is difficult for a newcomer with only experience of a large speed boat to objectively trial a bigger boat.

If you listen to the salesmen they all tell you that you can get 10 people plus fuel "and shee still do 40mph!"

Any hints or tips of how to go about assessing a boats peformance would be most greatfully received?

Other threads that may be of interest