Dead AGM back to life!!!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
So I left the boat switched on last year and by the time I realised and got back to her the house battery was dead. On the solar controller it showed that it had been cycling between 4 and 8 volts for about a week.
I put the shore power and engine on and re charged whilst I monitored its temperature ready to stop at the first sign of trouble but it took all the amps I could give it . After a couple of hours I took the charge off and monitored the voltage on the terminals . Quickly dropped to 12.5 then over an hour with no load dropped to 12.2.
I decided it was dead but put the shore power charger on at storage mode . Slept on the boat then checked the battery temp and condition in the morning. It looked normal and was cold. So I left it like that.
3 months later:
Got to the boat and turned off the charger and turned on the boat systems plus plugged in a few extra loads(phone and iPad ) so I had a load of 3-4amps.
Battery dropped to 12.35 indicated which is about 12.5 on the terminals it then over the next 2 hours increased to 12.5 indicated and stayed there for the next 2 hours!
Chemistry was clearly happening but I don’t know much about that.
Charged it up overnight using normal bulk float storage values and then went sailing for 30 hours.
The battery appears to be functioning normally and now settles at 12.7 volts
Now clearly this isn’t the same as doing a proper drop test and I did have the engine on after about 12 hours but at that point the volts were good at 12.5 indicated
Arrived and switched everything off yesterday and the battery is sitting at 12.7 with no load .

EDIT: battery is an Odyssey extreme PC1800 FT

I had already bought everything I need to switch to a new lithium except the battery itself and it looks like I can postpone that for now.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
The two LA's that had been drained by afulty auto bilge pump - I pulsed / charged / stood / pulsed / charged / stood ...

Both have recovered and back on boat ... sitting nicely at 12.8 - 13.0 ... I was - as you seem to be with yours - surprised at recovery !!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
The two LA's that had been drained by afulty auto bilge pump - I pulsed / charged / stood / pulsed / charged / stood ...

Both have recovered and back on boat ... sitting nicely at 12.8 - 13.0 ... I was - as you seem to be with yours - surprised at recovery !!
I was 100% convinced it was trashed!
Ive got a new DC-DC charger, 2 battery protect low voltage cutoff, and a mini BMS along with all the cable and fuses (T fuse anyone!) for a Lithium install all sitting in their boxes wondering what to do with themselves!
I may use the battery protect to prevent the same thing happening next time I forget to switch off.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I've recovered batteries so 'dead' they showed 0V on my multimeter. Hooked each one up to a smart charger in parallel with a good battery to fool the charger into thinking there was a battery fitted. Removed good battery after an hour or so and the 'dead' battery accepted a full charge.
Don't leave unattended though. I had three dead batteries to contend with; two charged okay, the third went into some sort of thermal runaway and melted the casing.

Posted about it here #21

Refueler

Visit site
Only disaster I had was when my gardener left power disconnected to my boat one winter ... the cabin battery discharged and then froze splitting the case ..
Luckily the batterys sit in a box that lower section is sealed. Ruined a good pair of jeans lifting the batts out so I could clean the 'fluid' out of course.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
(I had three dead batteries to contend with; two charged okay, the third went into some sort of thermal runaway and melted the casing.)

eek..........................
I have start/stop on the car and noticed recently that it had stopped working despite bright headlights and easy starting , in winter conditions etc. It needed a new AGM battery which solved the problem. I didn't realize that I had an AGM battery. I was impressed with the quality but surprised how much they cost.