De-glassing a baby stay nut question

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Our aft baby stay fixing has developed a leak. While I am quite happy to loosen it off and reseal it, it was glassed in and I will have to remove this first. New one for me.

So the question is what's the easiest/best way of doing this? It's difficult to get a saw in there and I would worry about cutting into the bolt. Would a chisel work or would I be better off using an old screwdriver? Any other ideas?

TIA

M

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’ve used an old chisel and it works ok. A multi tool sometimes works even better if you’ve got access. Better still is a small circular saw without the centre drill bit removed and used carefully. If you find the saw wondering too much when you try to start, cut a hole in a scrap of wood with the hole saw and clamp/hold the wood with the hole over the exact spot you need to cut the grp away. Go carefully!

Refueler

Visit site
I’ve used an old chisel and it works ok. A multi tool sometimes works even better if you’ve got access. Better still is a small circular saw without the centre drill bit removed and used carefully. If you find the saw wondering too much when you try to start, cut a hole in a scrap of wood with the hole saw and clamp/hold the wood with the hole over the exact spot you need to cut the grp away. Go carefully!

Yep ... hole saw that is a close fit to the nut .... carefully mark a depth on the outside of hole saw with marker pen ...

This way you get a neat cut .. you can then chisel / multi-tool the centre away ... revealing the nut. Its likely that the nut will not want to unscrew due to filled threads ... brute force is needed here while above deck fitting is held solidly.

penberth3

Visit site
I have found that an old wood chisel was an effective tool for removing the glass covering the nuts of deck fittings

Yes. It's even worth buying cheap chisels for this sort of thing, Poundland, car boot sales, whatever.