Day Skipper Practical - useful bits of kit

mattie_uk

Visit site
Hi all

I'm taking my Day Skipper Practical in late August, and would appreciate advice on any items of kit that experience shows are useful to have to hand - those little bits of kit that make life easier and more pleasant!

I've been given a list of kit that is pretty much common sense, for example thermals, sunscreen and sunglasses and something akin to camping clothes for a week away, and the instructor has suggested a decent sailing knife (if that is the correct term) and a red-light head torch, are there any other bits of kit that I should consider? (eta: any recommendations for decent examples at the budget/starter end of the market would also be appreciated - I'd prefer not to get some kit from one of the big sheds that fails at point of first use!)

On a related note, I have a lot of dinghy sailing clothing but none specific to yachts - I have options to hire the waterproof gear as part of the course, should I take this option or look to buy my own gear, noting that I'm an 6'5" ex-rugby lock with attendant issues around trouser lengths and collar sizes?

(as an aside, my wife - who is accompanying us to do her Competent Crew - has got the seasickness tablets lined up!)

All advice greatly appreciated

Last edited:

jac

Visit site
Worth explaining your size to the company and ensuring that they can supply as not having the right gear will make you miserable.

Buying your own gear is great but can be expensive if you end up giving up sailing so if you're sure you will carry on sailing yachts then go ahead and buy.

MerchantMatt

Visit site
Ear plugs!

I bought a set of Musto hpx jacket and trousers for £75 off one of the Facebook groups before doing my DS course.

Hat retaining clip.... I bought one for my baseball cap, only to no use it...... hat was lost when it was my turn at the helm which then turned into a impromptu 'man/hat over board' exercise! I used it after then.

Box of wine.

Enjoy!

Visit site
Strap for sunglasses. Keeps them round your neck rather than lose them over the side, have them trodden on etc.
Snack food for when you get peckish at night and don't want to disturb the rest of the crew.
Spare pair of decent sailing gloves.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Headtorch: I bought a Mountain Warehouse one that has a bright white LED for when you need it as well as red LEDs for watch-keeping (£14 or so). Note that if you're red/green colour blind to any extent, you may well have trouble reading a chart with red light, as it makes some colours used on charts disappear.
A neck warmer (those tube type things) is really good if the weather turns foul: keeps your neck warm and stops water trickling down the inside of your foulies. Or a strip of fleece type fadric instead, about six inches wide to do the same job.
Waterproof case for your phone and a 12v charger to suit it.
Spare specs if you wear them.
A sense of humour.

awol

Visit site
Clothing rather depends on where the course is being held and your tolerance to hypo(or hyper)thermia but decent oilies would be on my list. Sleeping bag, foot odour spray for others' boots if not your own, spare glasses/false teeth/prosthetics if you use them, a bag for your dirty clothes, your favourite condiment(s), a hand fishing line, arnica for the bruises, a roll of duct tape and I like my own hand-bearing compass.

Why a head torch? It is a Day Skipper course after all.

Daverw

Visit site
+1 and add that the head torch is good with low white lamp option as this I find better than red as I have issues with eyes and red does not work. Interesting thing that science does not support the red night light anyway

Skylark

Visit site
Not sure that I can add to the useful bits of kit, but..............

I'm a great believer in the saying "the more you put in, the more you'll get out". In order to be fully prepared for the course and to avoid any unwelcome surprises, I'd suggest that you both buy the RYA sailing logbook and the DS and CC practical course accompanying notes / booklet. The logbook lays out the syllabus and the booklet puts the syllabus into (pictorial) context.

Remember that although it's a course, you should still enjoy yourselves and have a bit of fun! As a DS candidate, you're also training to become responsible for the welfare of the crew...........coffee, cakes and bacon sandwiches are the best way to avoid a mutiny! Everyone is a winner on a happy boat.

Hope you both have a great time.

Daverw

Visit site
And biscuits, these went down well with crew, especially as my other half was doing comp crew on the same boat.
I found also that others on the boat, 3 others doing DS would chill at night and do their prep in the morning, they all struggled for time and forgot the skipper has lots to do in just prep for boat and crew and this takes far longer than people expect. I did mine each evening and got it out of the way. Lots of little notes in my note book each day to show the examiner that I was at least preparing. Even had a boat bred checklist, did not really need it but thinks can get a little stressed when on a strange boat, strange crew and under the watch of examiner.

BlackwaterLad

Visit site
A baseball cap. If you need to use the hood of your oilies the cap peak stops it dropping in front of your face.
A notebook. There will be all sorts of things to remember for later or quick calculations to do.
As a rule I find dinghy clothing too tight and fiddly to be comfortable all day so would choose to rent the oilies.
I don't use gloves when handling sheets and prefer to take just cheap gardening gloves for the messy jobs
Camera. Even when training there are plenty of opportunities to snap a picture for posterity
I'd also echo earlier comments about reading up before you go (I guess you've done DS theory and still have the material - practice those knots!) and don't lose sight of the fact that it's supposed to be fun .

capnsensible

Visit site
School yachts will have sufficient tools and torches for you not to have to bother lugging your own around.

Plus, of course, head torches are spawn of the devil.