Day skipper practical for 17 year old

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
My 17 year old has just done his Day Skipper theory with the Navy CCF in Portsmouth

I want him to do the practical, but I am sure he would prefer to do the course with others of his own age.

I know Sunsail do a teenager course but the top limit is 17 so would my son get stuck with a boat load of 13 year olds??

Any (sensible) advice would be appreciated

Thanks

TudorDoc

Sixpence

Visit site
Have a word with Al & Tina at http://atsailing.com/ , they're apparently very good but will also give unbiased advice on the best way to do it , but I would have thought they'd all be doing it together , as in , the same bunch that did the shore based part

fluffc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I want him to do the practical...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure your intentions are not meant to be, but please don't push him through courses. Candidates who are in this position are sometimes a real downer on other members of the courses, who are more keen to learn.

'Encourage' him, but please don't pressurise.
[/rant]

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
It was his idea to do the Day Skipper theory. If he wants to do the practical that would be great. You are right - no point pushing a teenager to do something they do not want to do. Having said that teens are very age sensitive. They want to be with their own age, not younger and definately not older

TudorDoc

Dave99

Visit site
I am at a friends house who is one of the chief instructors at a sea school. He says he might be able to sort something out perhaps, on a student course where people would be 18/19. PM me if thats any good. I've been helping out with boat deliveries so will be up his parents house for the next 2 days. The seaschool is based in Portsmouth.

David

No1_Moose

Visit site
I'm 19 and have done Mobo Yachtmaster practical but I'd be interested in doing a yachtie day skipper practical with some others of my age. So if anybody organises such a course please do contact me.

Sixpence

Visit site
In my dreams as you very well know , however it looks like myself and MrsT25 will be doing dayskipper classroom based along with the wife and very young daughter of another eminent forumite , so there is a time in life when age doesn't mean a thing , I'm the eldest at (post removed to protect the innocent) and his daughter isn't even a teen yet

oleander2

Visit site
My son did his day skipper practical at the age of 17 with John Goode's Southern Sailing School. He was extremely impressed with both the skipper and the course. He was even more so when the great man himself came down to the boat. How is that for customer service?

davierobb

www.guesthouseprestwickayr.co.uk
Treat him to some good sailing and send him up to OYT Scotland. Their training is mainly based on the Clyde. Ryanair fly to Prestwick which is only 40 mins on train to the OYT base at Largs. Great organisation and he will be learning with people of his own age. If you go for this option PM me and I'll send you more details on travel at this end.

See their website at OYT Scotland

Also their training is carried out on a rather nice Sun Odyssey 43

Piddy

Visit site
Hi

My kids did the Sunsail "Teensail" week and were the youngest (in that week) by some way at 13 and 15.
At first they were concerned they would be too young as all the others were so much older (to them) but once they found out they already knew what they were being asked to do, they had a great time and came away with dazed kippers certs.
I think it was good for them to be sailing with a professional skipper although the week was organised around having fun as much as anything else.
Hope that helps.

Cheers