Dartmouth

C08

Visit site
I have moved to my new mooring in Dartmouth and am pleasantly surprised. I have been to Dartmouth several times in the past but never spent more than night these so had not soaked up the ambience. What bliss on the mooring., so peaceful with not a jet ski in sight over 3 days.
I also had not realised how different Salcombe is to Dartmouth. Clearly the Salcombe Council have made enormous efforts to cater for ribs, trailer sailers and dayboats with extensive long stay parking for cars and trailers. The place was absolutely overloaded with peeps in the town and also craft on the water and the school holidays had not started!

johnalison

Visit site
Yes, Dartmouth and Kingswear are nice places. We spent a week in one marina when our son and young family were staying in Brixham, and it worked out well, with safe river trips for the kiddies and one day poking our nose out to sea. Salcombe is fine so long as you tell yourself that you have entered a madhouse and everyone is a foreigner.

Tim Good

Visit site
Lovely place. I was in the waiting list for a trot for many years and then when away for 3 years got offered one. Had to turn it down! Gutted

ashtead

Visit site
Full marks to kingswear marina - fitted us in last year,advised about tides and sent someone to collect our lines and that of another small yacht with an elderly lady on board etc. efficient ferry which keeps running and plenty of good simple eateries . I don’t really see why Salcombe has any attraction save for small dinghy and ribfolk.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Sssh! Don't want everyone here! We sailed in 8 years ago and are stuck. It's a great place and even at the height of the season you can find some peace on the water. Jet Skis, thank god, are rare beasts and the speed limit is generally adhered to. Except when the baby Naval officers are on their training exercises. Rockfish, fish and chips, in town do a special on a Friday from 5pm £5 a head till they run out. Welcome.

pessimist

Visit site
Welcome to Dartmuff. Compared to Salcombe blissful peace and quiet, compared to the East Coast not so much;), but you can't see through the water on the East Coast. We have a mooring just blow Dittsham and keep a rib in Darthaven. Never tire of the trip to the mooring. Helpful river staff, helpful admin staff - what more could you ask? Didn't know about the Rockfish special offer, thanks for the tip.

psammead

Visit site
Rockfish Fish Friday is 3rd Friday of every month, not every Friday, available in Brixham too... It's a fiver for haddock and chips, used to be £3 for whatever white fish catch they got that day which I personally preferred as you got to try all sorts of different fish...

R.Ems

Visit site
All the reasons above plus Barry Hollis the rigger (Rigging Solutions is the Co. I think) who did a couple of jobs at a very reasonable price, but also lots of tips and advice, including a demonstration of his home-made breaking device, which can break anything.
Not to forget the World's Oldest Engine, a Newcomen which you can see working.

michael_w

Visit site
I avoid Dartmouth as it's jinxed by the weather. Every time I've been there I've been pinned down for 3 days of ruinously expensive harbour dues.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Rockfish Fish Friday is 3rd Friday of every month, not every Friday, available in Brixham too... It's a fiver for haddock and chips, used to be £3 for whatever white fish catch they got that day which I personally preferred as you got to try all sorts of different fish...
Yes in the winter, currently every friday the £5 offer is on, check on their website for up to date info 50% OFF Haddock and Chips with £5 Fish Friday