Damsel in distress

Admiral Fitzroy

Visit site
Nice as an Elan 333 is I'd be surprised if you can get one for £30k that isn't a floating skip. The criteria are a bit vague, quite broad and probably most AWBs made in the last ~40 years would do the job, which suggests naming a specific one is a bit pointless; better you stick your budget into Apolloduck/Yachtworld/etc and go on some day trips en famille to look at anything that takes your fancy, as being in 'ampshire there will be plenty to look at, even if you ended up travelling further to actually buy one. Lugging a reluctant partner and baby into and out of boats will reveal how easy/difficult that is for each design. Then you tell us about it and we can tell you it's awful, the keel will fall off and you'd be better off with a Twister/AWB Standard Delux/J95.
Thanks. It’s because I don’t know the nonRORC racing or classic end of the market that I came here in the first place. And it was having plugged the criteria into B&O, AD etc that brought me here for help!

Poecheng

Visit site
I’ve been on a couple of 290s. I thought they were a very clever design, and the accommodation much better than say the Westerly Merlin whose saloon narrows excessively. Although twin keel, I can believe what people say when they say they sail well, although I imagine on the livelier side than the 29.
The 290 is extremely stable - not flighty at all, even at speed. Great design.

Minerva

Visit site
I’ll offer; bill Dixon designed Moody 34. Excellent aft cabin. Forepeak is spacious. Sails much better than I thought it would when we bought her, especially with good sails. Grew up racing so don’t like slouch and the moody is beautifully balanced and reassuring.

Also in connected news, our 6mo old baby sleeps very well in his little life travel cot;

Arc 2 Lightweight Travel Cot | LittleLife

It’s a pop top tent style, and fits wonderfully on the forepeak bunk on said moody 34. Velcro feet so it doesn’t slide about and the laddie can be zipped in overnight so he remains incarcerated and safe. It would probably fit nicely on saloon berths too, but harder to keep the saloon dark to aid sleeping.

ylop

Visit site
Solid, seakindly, comfortable with a hint of wood-panelled library down below to keep my (keen but creature-comfort loving) husband happy. Budget approx. £30k. However, I am really not keen on tubby, slow yachts (I'm not naming names; you know who I mean).
I am finding it hard to reconcile my need for practical, spacious accommodation with my preference for long, classic lines and the "row away factor". Are there suggestions of anything a bit smaller, to keep overheads low and handling super-easy?
I think you are looking the moon on a stick. You want it to look good, inside and out, sail well, be comfortable, short enough to keep overheads down. If any designer/builder had found that magic recipe then they'd have hit the jackpot and every other builder would have pretty much copied them. All boats are a compromise. Husband and child will likely use it more if you prioritise their comforts. Can you compromise on your aesthetics to get something you will use more. Have you actually tried sailing as a family on a tubby slow yacht? I had quite a few prejudices about them based on what I read, but when you try it with the people you are talking about rather than a racing team suddenly their popularity makes a lot of sense.

johnalison

Visit site
I would not take small kids sailing in ANY yacht. Leave em at home with the grandparents. That is what they are for ;)
Children can be a trial on a boat, but they can be equally bad at home and it’s only because we love them that we put up with it. We started cruising when ours were 2 & 5yrs old, so not quite at the baby stage. The younger was quite wilful and the business of getting her to wear a lifejacket was something we always struggled with, but on the whole they enjoyed sailing and boating generally. They grew up to enjoy sailing and still come whenever possible, and I am rather proud of the fact that they didn’t join the group of teenagers who react against sailing and perhaps their parents. Sailing became part of the family dynamics and I believe played an important part in our developing relationships, which I would have been very sad to have missed.

dunedin

Visit site
You like classic boats? How about a plastic classic like a Nicholson 32?
Or take a look at this Wauquiez Centurian 32 a fast cruiser/racer and lots of lovely wood down below.
I would have thought that getting a more modern boat might be better. Things like the Nic 32 are extremely cramped inside compared to say a Fulmar of the same length. With a young child a bit more space is likely to be very beneficial (and who knows, the crew may grow in future?).
With young children unlikely to be choosing to go to sea into F7 headwind, so will rarely benefit from the claimed benefits in gales at sea. But will always benefit from more space, especially in harbour.
And the sorts of boats listed early on (Fulmar, Moddy S31, Elan 333 etc) plus things like some Hanse, benefit from both practical solid wood interiors and very satisfying performance, with good sea keeping ability in winds likely to be sailing.

Last edited:

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Our two grew up (from 6 weeks to about 15/16 yrs) sailing with us on an Iroquois cat. Don't underestimate the freedom you and the children gain from the ability to dry out on a beach. Had we not found the Iroquois my own preference would have been for a bilge keel Fulmar but they were always out of our price range at the time.

penfold

Visit site
Thanks. It’s because I don’t know the nonRORC racing or classic end of the market that I came here in the first place. And it was having plugged the criteria into B&O, AD etc that brought me here for help!
Recommendations only take you so far; sitting in a cockpit is the only way to tell if the coaming is the right angle for your back, or that the seats are arranged well for multitasking helming and making faces at junior. You already mentioned Sadler 32; the 34 can appear in budget but likely to be in need of work. Fulmar has been mentioned; any of the other Dubois Westerlys in the same era would do, Griffon, Merlin, Tempest, Konsort(even the Duo), Storm all sail well and have spacious and mostly well thought-out interiors. Your budget will get the best available Sigma 33 and have a budget for upgrades; a still popular one design with an active owners assoc, they're just as good for cruising in with a furler and a stackpack. Maxi 1000 is rather overbudget, but not impossible a project might appear for sale; the previous Maxi 999 is a better prospect in budget, does all the same things and the self-tacking jib on either is a huge boon for single-handing. Worth looking at some of Jeanneau's output in the 80s and early 90s, Arcadia/Sunfast and Sunrise would be my preference. Contessa 33 are somewhat and unfairly overshadowed by the 32, not many built but a competent and fast boat,

You mentioned classic lines, which I interpret as Contessa 32 and other early IOR inspired designs; they are generally pleasant to sail, go well upwind but are cramped inside for the size and are wet.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Something that can take the ground. The wain will get older and playing on the beach with bucket and scrubbing brush will become a great diversion.
Seriously though, that makes cruising this area with young kids a lot cheaper and, to be honest, more fun.

I don't dare to suggest which one you should get however, but we had great fun with four people on a Centaur while looking longingly at Southerly's offerings.

Tranona

Visit site
The suggestions so far have mainly been the popular UK brands from the 70/80s which were aimed at exactly your type of use. They are not "classic" in the sense that you describe simply because such boats do not lend themselves in this size range to the type of fuss free coastal cruising that you plan with your family. The Sadler/Westerly/Moody type 28-33' designs sold in their hundreds because they did what you and other families were looking for - decent sailing ability and comfortable to live on.

The challenge now is not necessarily trying to find the perfect design - very few boats are duds in this respect, but finding one in your budget that is fully functioning and ready for use without bits falling off creating work and emptying your wallet. Many 30-40 year old boats are for sale (and you can only buy what is for sale!) because they are in poor condition - that is the owner is facing new sails/engine, rigging, electrics, electronic upgrades, or they have got to the point where they can no longer use and maintain the boat properly. There are, however many such boats in use that have been upgraded because the owners can't find, justify or don't want a newer boat, so spend the money with a view to keeping the boat for a number of years. Sometimes of course their circumstances change and they have to sell, often for less than the money spent on the upgrades. So don't get hung up on whether one design points better than another or has a better handicap - getting the most usable boat is the key.

Also look at some of the lesser known European boats from the same era that are not so common here but sold well in their home markets. Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dufour as examples, or this one here
clippermarine.co.uk/sail/1989-etap-30-8688076/

Good luck with your search.

Other threads that may be of interest