Damsel in distress

SaltyC

Visit site
To be honest, it was the Moody I was referring to as a bit of a tub. Perhaps it’s the dated deck styling, but I just can’t get past it..
Agree with the older designs. However, the Bill Dixon designs were more modern design, comfortable and performed reasonably well. The reason I suggested the 31S was the better performance over the 31.

dunedin

Visit site

Daydream believer

Visit site
Thank you - this is really helpful. Saloon size (and ability to cordon off sleeping baby while we sink a bottle of wine) is one of my major factors.
Then you want a 2000-2007 Hanse 31series. Apart from the self tacking jib, making SH sailing a doddle; the stbd berth in the saloon can have a pipecot side & be used to anchor a cot.the child can be placed here when the boat is under way so can easily be seen from the cockpit & attended to as required.
This leaves a clear path fore & aft on the other side of the table where child can be seen but not disturbed. Alternatively, there is the forward or aft cabins, with lots of room for mum to sleep with child when needed. Or leave child in one & shut the door whilst adults are in other, leaving 4 more berths. 2 in the saloon & 2 aft or forward
But best of all, is the really large heads, with good shower area. Excellent for washing the inevitable nappy s..t & vomit, off one's self that will always happen. Especially in a boat environment. The shower unit gives a good spray & a child washing can be done whilst sitting on the lid of the loo with the sink alongside. Lots of space infront as well. The calorifier is big enough for an adult to shower so ample for a child. If a cockpit tent was to be installed & tiller steering instead of a wheel the area would be a good sheltered area for a child growing up. The later 315 has a walk through transom but it can be closed off with solid door
Storage is not bad throughout & a carry cot/push chair can be easily stored in the locker accessible from the rear of the heads compartment or above deck

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
The 290 is much under valued, accommodation and performance unfortunately probably above budget.
I’ve been on a couple of 290s. I thought they were a very clever design, and the accommodation much better than say the Westerly Merlin whose saloon narrows excessively. Although twin keel, I can believe what people say when they say they sail well, although I imagine on the livelier side than the 29. The one thing that would put me off on the 290, if it can’t be corrected, is the mainsheet following the fashionable course along the coachroof and not to the helmsman’s hands. My 29 was fin keeled, and as with all the Sadlers other than the 290, had far better performance than the bilge keel version.

Someone mentioned the HR 312. It had crossed my mind too, if it can be had within the budget. They would be a good choice for a steady boat that would look after you and hold its value, and with a decent suit of sails sail pretty well.

Admiral Fitzroy

Visit site
Then you want a 2000-2007 Hanse 31series. Apart from the self tacking jib, making SH sailing a doddle; the stbd berth in the saloon can have a pipecot side & be used to anchor a cot.the child can be placed here when the boat is under way so can easily be seen from the cockpit & attended to as required.
This leaves a clear path fore & aft on the other side of the table where child can be seen but not disturbed. Alternatively, there is the forward or aft cabins, with lots of room for mum to sleep with child when needed. Or leave child in one & shut the door whilst adults are in other, leaving 4 more berths. 2 in the saloon & 2 aft or forward
But best of all, is the really large heads, with good shower area. Excellent for washing the inevitable nappy s..t & vomit, off one's self that will always happen. Especially in a boat environment. The shower unit gives a good spray & a child washing can be done whilst sitting on the lid of the loo with the sink alongside. Lots of space infront as well. The calorifier is big enough for an adult to shower so ample for a child. If a cockpit tent was to be installed & tiller steering instead of a wheel the area would be a good sheltered area for a child growing up. The later 315 has a walk through transom but it can be
Victoria 30
They are gorg but the accommodation…
But best of all, is the really large heads, with good shower area. Excellent for washing the inevitable nappy s..t & vomit, off one's self that will always happen. Especially in a boat environment. The shower unit gives a good spray & a child washing can be done whilst sitting on the lid of the loo with the sink alongside. Lots of space infront as well. The calorifier is big enough for an adult to shower so ample for a child. If a cockpit tent was to be installed & tiller steering instead of a wheel the area would be a good sheltered area for a child growing up. The later 315 has a walk through transom but it can be closed off with solid door
Storage is not bad throughout & a carry cot/push chair can be easily stored in the locker accessible from the rear of the heads compartment or above deck
All completely brilliant considerations, thanks. I presume you have one for sale? 🤔

Cariadco

Visit site
OK, I will open the discussion and put my tin hat one.

Sadler 32, 34 or Starlight 35? all OK if within budget. Contessa, classic drool over lines but wet and cramped with a small baby-but very seakindly.

Channel 31, good reports but no experience.

Elan 333, I will now put my chin strap on my tin hat! Modern design, flat bottomed and slams a lot, quality of accommodation build is mediocre, edging towards lightweight rather than longevity.

Suggestions within budget, 90's British built, Westerly Fulmar, Moody 31s, others you've mentioned or, I understand early 90's Bavarias were well build with a rounded bilge to reduce slamming and good long lasting boats.
I suspect my friend William, will along any minute now to put you right back in your box about the E333 slamming. Quality of Build etc, etc, blah Blah Blah....He loved his. but I do suspect you are talking out of your A%&!

Mister E

Visit site
I would suggest that you turn this around and think first about how you can get the other half to join you on board with the baby.
If he doesn't like sailing and wants comfort first then look for that first.
Get him involved from the start and you will be less likely to be sailing on your own.

penfold

Visit site
Nice as an Elan 333 is I'd be surprised if you can get one for £30k that isn't a floating skip. The criteria are a bit vague, quite broad and probably most AWBs made in the last ~40 years would do the job, which suggests naming a specific one is a bit pointless; better you stick your budget into Apolloduck/Yachtworld/etc and go on some day trips en famille to look at anything that takes your fancy, as being in 'ampshire there will be plenty to look at, even if you ended up travelling further to actually buy one. Lugging a reluctant partner and baby into and out of boats will reveal how easy/difficult that is for each design. Then you tell us about it and we can tell you it's awful, the keel will fall off and you'd be better off with a Twister/AWB Standard Delux/J95.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I’d be thinking of a Sadler, given that you won’t be taking my other suggestions seriously. My 2 babies were brought up on cruiser/racer multihulls in that price bracket. The result of that is that we’ve just waved son and DiL off on a trip to France, F18 on trailer.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I wouldn't want to be dealing with a big overlapping genoa in your situation myself, which rules out a string of gorgeous Sparkman and Stephens classics... How about a Hunter Horizon 30, twin keel? Lovely boat, sails well, self tacking jib, get into some lovely spots in the Scillies and dry out with toddler playing on the beach? Also you could get a good one well within your budget and have money in hand for new sails, rigging, electronics or whatever else the chosen specimen is missing.

Last edited:

Admiral Fitzroy

Visit site
I would suggest that you turn this around and think first about how you can get the other half to join you on board with the baby.
If he doesn't like sailing and wants comfort first then look for that first.
Get him involved from the start and you will be less likely to be sailing on your own.
He’s absolutely committed and loves sailing - he’s just very new to it.

Other threads that may be of interest