Damp attacked my new paint

graham

Visit site
Bit peed off.half way through putting the blue top gloss coat on Vegas topsides a few days ago mist started rolling in from the sea.As it was quick drying I thought I would get away with it but no its gone completely flat.

003-3.jpg

008-6.jpg

005-10.jpg

At least the sail washing went well. Got them washed and dried in a couple of hours. We laid a big cheapo tarpaulin on the grass first. Helps if your on the side of a hill. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Work is interfering with progress on the boat at the moment. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

graham

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but I still have some paint for another coat so it may be easier to rub it back a bit and give it another coat.Providing we get a nice dry day that is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FAITIRA

Visit site
Thats a bummer, I sympathise, as I have the same job coming up, hope I have better luck, I think another coat is the easiest way out too! BTW any more tips? please PM GOOD LUCK! Bill.

graham

Visit site
Its just single pack enamel.I have used it a few times before in less than perfect conditions I was stupid to start it on a damp day with fog forecast . It looked great when wet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use 1 pack paint rather than 2 pack .It lasts about 2 seasons and I dont get stressed if the kids ram us with the dinghy or if we scrape the pontoon now and then.It only takes a couple opf hours to rub it down and an hour and a half to paint.

I roll it on thin with a 4 inch foam roller covering about 2 feet of the side of the boat then lick across it with a good quality 2 inch brush keeping a wet edge.

johnchampion

www.Boatshedbristol.com
Don't know what you're moaning about - you've only had one go so far!

I carefully varnished my mast a couple of weeks ago and guess what, fog and frost, never mind, rub it down and do it on a warmer day, which I did, guess what - it rained - bugger!

I think I'll wait a bit longer.

graham

Visit site
Remind me never to paint/varnish on the same day as you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FAITIRA

Visit site
I had a lovely 2 pack job done on a previous boat, Rival 32, and it did last well on a 2yr cruise to the Med and back, but not easy to touch up.
I,m going Grahams way this time, 1 pack, but I hope I get more than two years, I am not a fanatic by any means and welcome people alongside, hence most of the touching up! Bill.

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My hull two-pack is 23 years old

[/ QUOTE ]

About the same era as our kitchen wallpaper according to SWMBO /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham

Visit site
S hine stayed on this time /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Hope to get back afloat middle of next week.

004-7.jpg

005-6.jpg

006-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

FAITIRA

Visit site
Well done Graham, if ours turns out as well I will be well chuffed, hoping to do it near Redon, end of April so a bit warmer, wish us luck! Bill.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Good size pads on your cradle, though if you are going to be out for more than a week or two it's a good idea to put polythene over the padding. Blistering is common when the pads hold water against the hull.

Nice paint job /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

graham

Visit site
Thanks for the tip about the hull pads.for the sake of a bit of plastic bag must be worth doing.

Vega going back in this morning.
012-4.jpg

Back on the mooring.
013-1.jpg