Cutting steel on a bandsaw, any experience?

burgundyben

Visit site
I need to cut a length of steel bar, 10mm thick and 100mm wide, I have 16 cuts to do, plus 8 triangles.

I have a trusty Record BS250 bandsaw. I know I can buy a 24tpi metal cutting blade 70.5" long.

What's the practical experience?

Or would it be easier to buy 2 packs of 1mm slitting discs for my grinder?

penberth3

Visit site
A jigsaw is another option, with a metal cutting blade. Slow but safer and more controllable than an angle grinder. It will also give neater cut.

TernVI

Visit site
There was a power hacksaw on FB market place the other day, that would be my weapon of choice.
Normally it would be possible to borrow/trade/scrounge access to one.
I would consider buying the metal with the cuts done for you. Could be cheaper to pay for the cuts than to buy the discs?

penberth3

Visit site
.......would consider buying the metal with the cuts done for you. Could be cheaper to pay for the cuts than to buy the discs?

That's the obvious answer, if you have a local steel merchant.

Another thought - with proper metal cutting bandsaws the work is fixed, the blade moves. That's very different to feeding metal into the blade as you do with wood.

ETA another thought. IIRC your Record bandsaw is "bottom of the range". I have a gut feeling 10mm steel is a bit ambitious for it, whatever blade you have. Are you any good with a hacksaw? Tedious but not impossible, do four at a time then a cup of tea!

Last edited:

Kilo

Visit site
A jigsaw is another option, with a metal cutting blade. Slow but safer and more controllable than an angle grinder. It will also give neater cut.
Safer on round bar? Don't think so & neater than a slitting disc?
Go with the grinder you've got, if it needs to be bang on the same many times make a little jig out of scrap wood.

burgundyben

Visit site
Thanks all. Bandsaw idea abandoned. Discs ordered.

Getting it cut for me sounds a plan. If I still lived in Hamble I'd know where to go, but over here on the Isle of Wight I'm not so sure. I'll have a mooch round.

NormanS

Visit site
A long time ago, I worked in an industry and a situation where any form of "Hot Work" was definitely not allowed. We used manual hacksaws rather a lot. All it needs is some determination.

burgundyben

Visit site
I put a disc in a radial arm saw to do this. Easy to jig to get identical lengths!

Simples!

Tony.

Hi Tony. Hope you are keeping well.

I do have a mitre saw. But it's a chop saw rather than radial arm. Might be a bit fast.

A long time ago, I worked in an industry and a situation where any form of "Hot Work" was definitely not allowed. We used manual hacksaws rather a lot. All it needs is some determination.

My results might not be straight enough...

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
If you need to do triangles, a horizontal bandsaw is out (without a lot of fudging).
Use an angle grinder but clamp on a guide strip (sacrificial). Once you have cut one triangle, you can sacrifice it as a guide for the real ones.

Norman_E

Visit site
I have an Axminster metal cutting bandsaw, which is actually the perfect tool for the job. A good hacksaw with a strong frame and decent blades will also do the job, but its hard work. An angle grinder stand allows you to use it as a pretty accurate chop saw. Something like this, with a 9 inch angle grinder. https://cpc.farnell.com/einhell/ts-230/grinder-stand-230mm/dp/TL19247?mckv=sIAUNoogf_dc|pcrid|224699811724|kword||match||plid||slid||product|TL19247|pgrid|47130473436|ptaid|pla-399466853964|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!224699811724!!!network

Or make your own
A bit crude and not much acknowledgement of elfin safety, but it would work.

Last edited:

Caraway

Visit site
I need to cut a length of steel bar, 10mm thick and 100mm wide, I have 16 cuts to do, plus 8 triangles.

I have a trusty Record BS250 bandsaw. I know I can buy a 24tpi metal cutting blade 70.5" long.

What's the practical experience?

Or would it be easier to buy 2 packs of 1mm slitting discs for my grinder?
That is quite beefy. Is it going to be welded? the accuracy and neatness are less critical if so.