Cutlass bearing repair

AndrewDu

Visit site
I found that the rubber part of my cutlass bearing is turning freely in the metal part.

I checked the delivery time for a new one and it's longer than my lift-in deadline, so I need to repair this bearing.

There is no noticeable free play on the prop shaft so it should be good for a while if it holds together...

What's the best thing to glue it up with? Clearly it will need to be scrupulously clean but that is easy enough.

People have recommended epoxy-type (araldite) adhesives, EvoStick "Stick like sh*t", and even Gorilla Glue.

I'm wary of the last one because apparently it's a gap filler that expands on setting; I don't want anything to distort the shape of the rubber bearing, obviously.

Thoughts anyone? (Other than "don't do it", because I really don't have a choice!)

AndrewDu

Visit site
Boat is forty years old, nothing is standard sizes.
It's either a special manufacture, or get a standard one and find someone who can take a few fractions of millimeters off it in the right place...neither is practical in ten days imho.

pvb

Visit site
It's either a special manufacture, or get a standard one and find someone who can take a few fractions of millimeters off it in the right place...neither is practical in ten days imho.

You can still buy imperial sizes. I'm surprised the boatbuilder went to the trouble of fitting a non-standard size.

Topcat47

Visit site
You can still buy imperial sizes. I'm surprised the boatbuilder went to the trouble of fitting a non-standard size.

Every time I've replaced my cutless bearing it has had to be skimmed and shortened in a lathe.

My bearing also has a grub screw to locate it and prevent it turning in the housing. If the rubber has come away from the backing, however, no glue will be a permeant fix.

oldgit

Visit site
Have used Sikaflex for this job.Bit of an emergency panic repair,boat went back in water couple of hours later.
It definately lasted until the boat was sold several years later

AndrewDu

Visit site
Thanks Mike, I'll drop them a line; the only people I tried so far, were saying two weeks' lead time...I'll post back their answer so that others know.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
If you want composite we can do better than a week for custom made in Australia! if it's that urgent. (that does cost a bit though)

And that is any size as they are machined to order.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com

Most of our business is supplying made to order shaft and rudder bearings within a few days normally less than 10 days. We often only get the sizes when the boat is dry docked. We have done a Tuesday delivery in Italy after the boat was docked on Friday evening.

If you are having to resize the bearing just be aware that a bearing can be made as a clearance or a press fit, a press fit needs the press / interference to reduce the ID to it's designed clearance. Most of ours are made as a clearance to slide in by hand. That means the finished ID is smaller than a press fit one.

AndrewDu

Visit site
Very prompt response from Countrose saying they can do me one in "1 to 2 days".
I will order, and report back!

Mike, thanks for the tip.

AndrewDu

Visit site
Yes I have tried them - they said two weeks lead time (NB This refers to Exalto - sorry, replied to the wrong thing there!)

Last edited:

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com

Pleased I could help, one tip make sure you are happy with the dimensions you give them as they will make it exact, I sent my old one to make sure.

Also to be 100% sure and check the shaft dia where the cutlass bearing fits incase it has worn it a few thou.

Mike

seaangler23

Visit site
Surely there is a machine shop near by or someone with a lathe to skim one? Would take minutes to sort, even easier if you can remove the housing and take it with you, not a good set of callipers

AndrewDu

Visit site

Well Countrose were as good as their word; ordered one day, delivered the next.

Fitted, working, all done.

Recommended!