crusader sails are a rip off

gertha

Visit site
Well there are enough errors in your first post to suggest you are taking total rubbish and you are. unless you are talking about an entirely different Crusader to the one we all know and who have made 5 full suits of sails for my boats over the years all of which were excellent. As for being a one man band you really are wrong, they were my local sailmaker until two days ago when we moved across the pond to the USA AND I have been to their sail loft on very many occasions.
Well there are enough errors in your first post to suggest you are taking total rubbish and you are. unless you are talking about an entirely different Crusader to the one we all know and who have made 5 full suits of sails for my boats over the years all of which were excellent. As for being a one man band you really are wrong, they were my local sailmaker until two days ago when we moved across the pond to the USA AND I have been to their sail loft on very many occasions.
Where are the errors?

Tranona

Visit site
This mess is a perfect example of why not to resurrect ancient threads, Once again only one side of an old and disputed dispute is being aired. Nobody is perfect and all make occasional errors and I suspect there is very much more to this than meets the eye.

With you all the way there Robin. I have known Paul and his family (including his Dad now gone) for over 40 years and do not recognise what was said by the OP. Must take a particular type of person to fall out in such a big way with them.

Robin

Visit site
With you all the way there Robin. I have known Paul and his family (including his Dad now gone) for over 40 years and do not recognise what was said by the OP. Must take a particular type of person to fall out in such a big way with them.
His dad made me what were known as our 'going along' cockpit cushions, all weather ones made to fit our then LIZ30 half tonner but did another 14 years on a W33 and ten more as backrests on a Sun legende41 but the new (French) owner of that one may even still use them.

I did have one complaint however. I bought a used (never raced or rallied?) spinnaker from him , the one Paul had used on his half tonner Pinball Wizard in the infamous 1979 Fastnet Race. I blew it totally out one very windy race in a wild broach trying to carry it too close to the wind, took the recovered luff tapes and few remaining shredded bits in to him and asked if he could please, pretty please, fit a new inner to them and the bugger refused! Still he was,( like you IIRC), in a rival Poole Yacht club. :ROFLMAO:

RupertW

Visit site
The gang mentality at work on the forum again I see.....don't worry
The “gang” mentality in this case strongly disliking the attempt to trash the reputation of a company that has been so good for so many of us over a few decades - in my case from roller reefing in 1991 to an asymmetric a a few years ago along with refurbing the genoa. The inaccuracies in the original complaint discredit the rest, although of course even the best companies can cock up.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Of course even the best companies can cock up.
Never a truer word sais,
there must had been some problem for this guy to post, I doubt he woke up one morning and decided, let trash CS ,
Unless his just a head case .
Has some say they know the firm well why not bring there attention to the posting although I bet someone has already

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Unless Crusader are given the right of public reply I think this thread should be permanently deleted and I'm surprised it has been allowed to rise again. much has previously been 'pulled' for very much less.
Nothing stopping them from posting a reply, is there?

Lucy52

Visit site
Like all consumer reviews you always get one customer shouting from the roof tops often about a non issue for most people, to the point where the reviews are worthless. It works the other way too, I had a web company offering to pimp a web site for me to get it in the top rankings. I asked how I would get good reviews and they said they would fix that for me. Complete b**l*x. You have to read between the lines and make your own mind up.

On ballance I woud say the thread came over as a positive endorsement of Crusader Sails as a good and reputable sail maker, it wouldn't put me off. There will always be a need for an occasional adjustments to a sail it is in the nature of the work and finding one wouldn't surprise me one bit, but that's not enough to dam one sail maker forever. You only ever get half a story anyway.

Wandering Star

Visit site
My friend ordered a complete set of sails for his Oyster 435 from Crusader in 1994 I’d guess. They weren’t a one man band even then and the sails were superb. We took part in the Mount Gay race over to Barbados. I subsequently purchased a furling Genoa for my Westerly Longbow prior to another Transat in 1999 from Crusader and it too performed well and I can say again it wasn’t a one man band in 1999.

Robin

Visit site
My friend ordered a complete set of sails for his Oyster 435 from Crusader in 1994 I’d guess. They weren’t a one man band even then and the sails were superb. We took part in the Mount Gay race over to Barbados. I subsequently purchased a furling Genoa for my Westerly Longbow prior to another Transat in 1999 from Crusader and it too performed well and I can say again it wasn’t a one man band in 1999.
In my several replies I forgot to mention they made all new sails for the refitted Gypsy Moth IV project and another circumnavigation,

one man band job? old Singer on kitchen table perhaps.1613892383536.png
1613892383536.png

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Why would they. Bet they have forgotten all about it - it was 8 years ago. Nothing to be gained from re-opening a sore wound and scratching it.
Of course. But they do have the right (or at least the possibility) of reply, should they choose to use it.

I have read many good things about Crusader here. My only personal experience of them was when I visited their stall at Southampton a few years back and asked for a quote for a new mainsail. I was treated with such sneering disdain - for describing the sail as "red" rather than "tan" - that I resolved not to do business with them and went to a Scottish sail maker, for rather more money, instead. Perhaps the chap on the stall was just having a bad day.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Don't suppose Paul would be looking in here on the offchance of seeing a negative post about an incident over 8 years ago. What could he add when there have been so many positive responses about his company.

I remember a similar thread a few years back involving another well known sailmaker in Poole who was forced into responding by the braying mob. Inevitably it showed that they had bent over backwards to solve the problem, but once trust was lost, nothing can put it right and nobody gains. Best to follow the "Royal" advice and just leave it.