Cruising the Med in August

Zing

Visit site
A good idea or not?

Where to go to avoid getting too hot?

Where to go to avoid holiday season, overcrowded, overpriced transient berth costs?

Where to go where you can anchor in anchorages that are not full at 10:00 am, but still fun and pleasant?

Any other high season tips to make for a good time?

Sea Change

Visit site
We've only been as far as the Balearics and based on our experience, I wouldn't choose August to cruise there.
We found a spot in the anchorage in Pollensa, Mallorca, and barely moved for six weeks until silly season was over.
We tried visiting a nearby cala for the day and thirty boats ended up anchored in there. In Scotland you'd have called it a one boat anchorage. Everybody on very short scope and fenders out. We got hit by a big mobo causing major damage to the dinghy which was in the davits.

Hopefully there are other parts of the Med which are less crazy in the summer.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
It’s hot everywhere in August. Unbearable at times.
Yes, so keeping north may be best bet. E.g. Pula (Croatia), though I have not been there for a decade or more... If there is a hot spell it could be well-broken by a massive thunderstorm, though!

I should have mentioned that Pula has an impressive amphitheatre, but admittedly we were there in early June, not August! Looking back at photos we've been in July and September, not August. We went to Yugoslavia in late August in both 1983 and 1990 but I'm afraid I don't even remember where to.

Attachments

• 009_06.jpg
    009_06.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
Yes, so keeping north may be best bet. E.g. Pula (Croatia), though I have not been there for a decade or more... If there is a hot spell it could be well-broken by a massive thunderstorm, though!

I should have mentioned that Pula has an impressive amphitheatre, but admittedly we were there in early June, not August! Looking back at photos we've been in July and September, not August. We went to Yugoslavia in late August in both 1983 and 1990 but I'm afraid I don't even remember where to.
June is a good month, I know that already.

Yugoslavia (which of course doesn’t exist anymore) was a wonderful destination for a while.

RupertW

Visit site
I’ve been boiled alive in June and been fine in August and the other way round. We always cruised in August and always found spaces and enjoyed the breezes.

ylop

Visit site
A good idea or not?

Where to go to avoid getting too hot?

Where to go to avoid holiday season, overcrowded, overpriced transient berth costs?

Where to go where you can anchor in anchorages that are not full at 10:00 am, but still fun and pleasant?

Any other high season tips to make for a good time?

You implied in the other thread that you were taking your own boat (as it would have a red ensign)? That must make quite a difference as Croatia is a long way under your own steam…

Zing

Visit site
No it’s not. Unless you are making the wild assumption it is located in the outer Hebrides, then you might be right, but that would be a foolish and baseless assumption. The boat is in southern Italy.

Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
You implied in the other thread that you were taking your own boat (as it would have a red ensign)? That must make quite a difference as Croatia is a long way under your own steam…
No it’s not. Unless you are making the wild assumption it is located in the outer Hebrides, then you might be right, but that would be a foolish and baseless assumption. The boat is in southern Italy.

ylop

Visit site
Kind of feels like that would have been a useful bit of information to include in this post, no?

And that the opening line of your ICC thread being “I will be sailing the Med this year for the first=st time in decades.” might have given people the impression the boat was not in the Med already?

Now it’s possible that these are just communication errors but a more cynical internet user might think you were intentionally seeking controversy!

HenrikH

Visit site
From southern Italy, the closest low cost, not crowded option may be Tunisia. Bizerte has a nice marina. Coast guard, customs and border police are a bit more demanding that normal. Another low cost opportunity in the vicinity is Albania. I cannot recommend the port in Durres.

Bouba

Visit site
August is high summer everywhere in the Med...but obviously the further north you go the cooler it gets....for example I’ve been in the sea in Cyprus during August and you sweat in the water....but the south of France is still quite refreshing