Cruising Scotland

dina

Visit site
Trying to decide where to go sailing this summer for our 5 week cruise. The west coast of Scotland sounds fantastic, but we keep reading about real problems with midges in July and August (which is when we would have to go due to school holidays). Does anyone out there have any experience with this???

G

The west coast of Scotland is normally very wet in July and August. The midgies are a killer. If there's no breeze they can drive you insane, but you should always get a breeze on the coast. If the weather stays good for you the scenery is fantastic.

Enjoy, Mike

claymore

Visit site
Never met a midgie yet that would persuade me to go to Brittany rather than the West Coast.
Never met a midgie yet that was a match for Eureka or Mozigard
Never met a midgie yet that made life so unpleasant - except once in Glen Brittle - in June.
But then we are talking Skye Midgies - and they are a different thing altogether - crossed with sparrowhawks
Still, prefer skye midgies to frogs.

regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

I'll take the frogs any day. Sautéed with some shallots and garlic and a nice glass of white wine.....yumm. The midgies in Fort William are made of stronger stuff than the ones on Skye!!
Come to south Brittany its fantastic, its never cold and never rains!!! I wish has'nt got above zero today!!!

jleaworthy

Visit site
We live on the west coast of Skye where midges are a problem on summer evenings unless there is a breeze over 3 knots (midges' top flying speed). We usually take some ice and tonic to our boat moored about 50 metres off shore where we enjoy the ship's store of Plymouth gin and the absence of the wee beasties.

I'm hoping that it will be possible to GM the highland midge, get some donkey genes into them so we'll at least be able to see the things coming.