Cruising Corsica

Yacht Castor

Visit site
This summer we intend passing a few Months lazing around the Balearics before heading for a new winter location. There might be a place available for us in Cannes so we are considering sailing from Minorca over to Alghero on the West Sardinia coast and then following the coast North, crossing the straits to Bonifacio (a must see) and then up the West coast of Corsica before crossing over to the South of France. I have never sailed this area before but am a little concerned having read much about the fierceness of the Mistral and the rough seas that heap up all the way back from the Gulf de Lyon. It doesn’t sound much fun on a lee shore with many exposed anchorages. Obviously no two years are the same and that some summers the Mistral can blow week after week non stop but is there anyone that has local knowledge of the area or who has done this journey before and can advise me of any do's and don'ts and the latest time in the season to attempt the passage.

Talbot

Visit site
I was not cruising in the area, but spending time on the island. thus can only comment on a couple of things. I stayed in the Solenzara area, and there is a reasonable marina although it is a bit exposed in a gale, and great restaurants. Bonifacio has a crowded marina, but also some bolt holes suitable for anchoring. Its approach in bad weather could be interesting, but once inside is well shletered. fascinating town well worth a visit, with some interesting history.

macd

Visit site
Periodic Mistral/Transmonta/Gulf of Genoa winds were common last summer when I sailed (E to W) through the area (but probably not so late in the season as you're planning). Forecasting must have been good enough since I was never caught out.

Alghero is certainly worth visiting. There's a couple of marinas there, right next to the old town walls. You can anchor off, but it's exposed to the west. There are sheltered anchorages in glorious locations just a few miles to the NW in Porto Conte. You can also anchor with some shelter from the NW near Fertilia (adjacent Alghero airport).

It's a relatively short hop north to the Fornelli passage, the short-cut to Stintino and on to Corsica. Passage should be treated with respect, but is easy in benign conditions and good light. Leading lines reliable. Lovely anchorages on E side of the passage: pilot suggests you might be moved on (it's a nature reserve) but no sign of that on the three occasions I've been there. Reasonable anchorage at Stintino itself, just S of the harbour, but beware rocks to the SE of it.

Southern Corsica is a joy: delightful scenery, superb anchorages, French food. Bonifacio, for all its tourism, is unmissable. I even managed to get a free mooring in late August in the easternmost of the two creeks running north from the main town channel. Note that the moorings are unusual: there's a central chain with long lines to shore. Most have pick-up buoys, some not (presumably chopped off by props). The intention is that you pick up the line as best you can* and use it as BOTH stern and bow line. There's plenty slack enough to do this. Many visitors hadn't seen this set-up before and were a bit baffled.

* if the pick-up is missing, you'll need to send someone ashore in the tender to retrieve the line.

Last edited:

Yacht Castor

Visit site
Corsica Crusing

Many Thanks for all the info. To arrive in Cannes by the end of September we would need to be working our way up the Corsica coast from late August through to the end of September.

djk

Visit site
If you are unable to moor in Calanque de la Catena which macd suggests in Bonafacio then I'd go for the town quay near the ferry dock. Drop the anchor and go stern too on the wall. There are some water and electric facilities there. Avoid the marina as its very compact and busy in the summer months.
The Fornelli passage is a must in the right conditions and saves 20 odd miles and the anchoring on the E side is great. Gin clear water over sand and great scenery.
We've stayed in 2 marinas in Alghero and prefer Sant Elmo as its very close to the town. The staff in both very helpful indeed the first time in Sant Elmo a dory came out to great us and were guided to a berth and moored up in about 5 minutes! None of this VHF stuff or trying to catch someones attention on a pontoon.

macd

Visit site
To arrive in Cannes by the end of September we would need to be working our way up the Corsica coast from late August through to the end of September.

With that time frame you should be fine, as well as free of the August crush. Of course it's the time of year when the weather tends to become more variable, so you'll need regular access to forecasts. I've found www.passageweather.com pretty dependable. It also gives forecast sea states, particularly helpful on W coasts of Sardinia & Corsica. Last autumn was strangely devoid of thunderstorms (at least where I was). Hope you're as lucky.

And thanks to djk for putting the names to places I couldn't remember.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
we also are great fans of passage weather, when we can get internet access.

Then a warning re Italy/Sardinia: they seem to have a law which prevents anonymous internet access. So, for instance, if you pop into a bar to use their internet, you have to show ID and complete a form (to prove you're more honest than Berlusconi, or something, so not that rigorous). As a consequence of this (I presume) open wifi is virtually unknown. No such probs in Corsica.

Last edited: