Cruising chute - tack line

cliveshelton

I have an asymmetric cruising chute rigged to a Selden bowsprit which came with our boat and is getting more use this year. The tackline is rigged back to the cockpit through the bowsprit. Also there is a spliced shortish line (about 1m long 6mm line) on the tack of the sail.

Is it normal to rig a "safety" line as well as the adjustable tackline? Or perhaps did the sailmaker intend this to be used as the tackline (not adjustable). Should I remove it. It seems redundant to me. The white line is just visible in this photo together with the black tackline.

IMG_0702.jpg

Cheers.

prv

I expect it was made with a fixed tackline and somebody added a longer one at a later date. I'd take the short one off.

+1 - I've encountered both short fixed tack-lines and long adjustable ones, but I've never heard of both used at the same time.

(I prefer the adjustable type to alter the fullness of the luff.)

Pete

Daydream believer

A nice long tack lone also aids the drop. The whole sail can come in under the boom & the tack can be unclipped from the cockpit. Only the halliard needs to be unclipped & moved to its storage point