Cruising Association membership

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Is anyone a member and is it worth it?
Thanks
Mairi

Follow this link to a recent discussion:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263710&highlight=cruising+association

In future it is often worth doing a quick search on the subject in the search facility above. It simple to use and you can find loads of information that has already been discussed on the forums.

And yes it is worth joining especially if you are going extended cruising. Avery active forum on the Mediterranean and many other popular cruising areas are amongst the many attractions

dratsea

Visit site
Yes, esp in med, but we hope we have put back a bit of what we have got out:

John and Sarah

Many years ago you gave a lecture at the cruising association. I just want to say thanks. Your stories inspired us and since meeting you we joined the BWR Rally Antigua and have sailed 25,000 miles, spent eight years on and off aboard, lost a boat ashore in Hurricane Ivan and had two kids along the way. Not quite like you, we flew home to have them (and just as well it turned out) but one did start life after a visit to conception Island in the Bahamas!

So thanks for that inspiring night. Currently we are just back in the UK......and are wondering why. I must go down to the sea again........

Fair winds and cheers

John and Nicola http://theyachtmoonshine.com/

rivonia

Visit site
Thanks
Mairi

Hi There,

well we are NEW members and were sceptical!! It is a very active community and once you have joined you will have lots of info- that is if you want it. Plus all the discounts in Marinas, shops, restaurants etc.

Try to find someone who is a member to talk to if you can

Fair winds

Peter

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
It depends what you aim to do. Are you a boat owner?

If you're just doing weekend cruising in your local area, with the occasional fortnight nipping around an area you know moderately well, then you won't need the sort of support on offer, although discounts do help with the boat's running costs.

As soon as you start cruising to new places, the benefits really kick in. CA (through the internet too) is a source of definitive information on rules and regulations when going foreign. And prolonged living (a month or more) on a boat means thinking about what changes may be needed for your new cruising area. There's always someone around who has faced your problem before, who can answer queries. Where to lay up, where to base the boat, how to get there!

Kimmo

Visit site
Hi There,
well we are NEW members and were sceptical!! It is a very active community and once you have joined you will have lots of info- that is if you want it. Plus all the discounts in Marinas, shops, restaurants etc.
Peter

Hello, a new member and a long time lurker here.

I've been considering of joining CA for about a year now. We are within few months starting our year off and sailing to South Spain from Baltic Sea.

I just can't really decide my mind on CA, how much it would benefit us. Are there a lot of marinas in Atlantic continental Europe (not UK), that offer discounts? It's just that the discount is the main thing that would benefit us.

As all the lectures are in UK, those do not give us much. Also I haven't really heard that boat chandlers here would give discounts to CA members, and marinas certainly dont, except one I think.

Extra info is of course welcomed, but then again I've read so many pilot books now, that I seem to remember all the marinas and achorages in continental Europe by heart :)

Just can't decide. It's not that we would be on a mini budget, but we are also not that rich, that I would happily "waste" money on things, that didn't give me anything, if it's not charity :D

(Sorry to reply to this thread. Tried to also answer to the other one about CA, but for some reason my reply didn't appear there)

(Well it just took few days for my reply to show in the other thread, perhaps this could be deleted?)

Last edited:

binch

gradually diminishing with age. Now Europe
Visit site
CA

I get to see most cruising clubs "at Home" and in off-shore mode.
I am a member of several and have reached my expenditure limit.
If I could afford a seventh, I would choose the CA. I think the service they give their members is excellent.
Possibly the RCC is better in some ways but not in all.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Discounts include some mail order chandlers, several sail makers, and vendors of electrickery stuff.

Most information is either on the web site, or delivered by question and answer over email nets (and you can look up all these conversations when you have web access) so although the London centre adds extra benefits for some, it's not necessary to go there.

Just can't decide. It's not that we would be on a mini budget, but we are also not that rich, that I would happily "waste" money on things, that didn't give me anything, if it's not charity
The cost is a bit less than giving up one pint of beer a week!

dmmbruce

Visit site
I have been a member for years. So was my father.

I don't use the discounts. I don't go to London (ever if I can help it) so I don't go to their lectures etc.

But, their publications are excellent and useful to me.

The biggest benefit is their members! Where ever I have been in Europe and much further afield, and I have got on the water, there has always been a fellow member. They have always been good, even if eccentric, company and very helpful. That burgee/flag is a wonderful passport!

Mike