Cruising Association/Knox Johnson open letter re 90/180 day problem

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Just read the letter, utter tosh!

Sir Robin Knox-Johnston said:
The future of Britain’s cruising sailors is threatened by the Schengen 90 day limit.
I'd love to see the justification of that statement.

The 90/180 limit will not threaten the future of anything, people just need to understand the rules and adjust their plans accordingly like they do in the rest of the world and the rest of the world does in the Schengen Area.

syvictoria

Visit site
The 90/180 limit will not threaten the future of anything, people just need to understand the rules and adjust their plans accordingly like they do in the rest of the world and the rest of the world does in the Schengen Area.

Of course it threatens the future of cruising for British sailors - when compared to the freedoms of the recent past! Yes, people can just 'adjust their plans accordingly', but it is inconvenient, often expensive, and often undesirable for personal reasons, and so some will as a consequence simply opt to stop cruising when they cannot face (or afford) to amend their plans to the required degree. That's not to say that there are a lot of people so severely affected by the changes, but it is undeniable that cruising sailors are no longer able to amble around the EU on a tight budget in the way that they were up to only two months ago.

And yes, I know, other third country nationals, bla, bla, but they haven't spend years or even decades planning and dreaming, just to have the goalposts moved. Their difficulties are long established.

And yes, I know, Brexit has happened, suck it up. Yes. But please, let's have a little compassion and solidarity for those who didn't support or vote for Brexit and whose future plans and dreams have been right royally s***wed by the removal of FoM solely at the hands of our own government and their inability/unwillingness to negotiate a better (or earlier) deal.

And sailors are not alone in their frustration and disappointment...

Last edited:

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Of course it threatens the future of cruising for British sailors - when compared to the freedoms of the recent past! Yes, people can just 'adjust their plans accordingly', but it is inconvenient, often expensive, and often undesirable for personal reasons, and so some will as a consequence simply opt to stop cruising when they cannot face (or afford) to amend their plans to the required degree. That's not to say that there are a lot of people so severely affected by the changes, but it is undeniable that cruising sailors are no longer able to amble around the EU on a tight budget in the way that they were up to only two months ago.

And yes, I know other third country nationals, bla, bla, but they haven't spend years or even decades planning and dreaming, just to have the goalposts moved. Their difficulties are long established.

And yes, I know, Brexit has happened, suck it up. Yes. But please, let's have a little compassion and solidarity for those who didn't support or vote for Brexit and whose future plans and dreams have been right royally s***wed by the removal of FoM solely at the hands of our own government and their inability/unwillingness to negotiate a better (or earlier) deal.

And sailors are not alone in their frustration and disappointment...
Hear hear - well said

Poignard

Visit site

Until we became subject to the 90/180 limit I could come and go to my boat in Brittany as and when I liked. And that is what I did.

No forms to fill in, no Schengen calculator; just book a ferry and go.

I could sail back to the UK, or any other EU Member State at will wihout any liability for VAT.

Also, very importantly, I could carry boat's gear, tools, new items I had bought, food etc without needing to have invoices showing their cost etc.

In short I, and thousands of other owners of cruisers, have lost a freedom to do as we please; a freedom that hurt nobody.

How can that possiblty be justified?

Flynnbarr

Visit site

Hear Hear-well said.

Caladh

Visit site
Until we became subject to the 90/180 limit I could come and go to my boat in Brittany as and when I liked. And that is what I did.

No forms to fill in, no Schengen calculator; just book a ferry and go.

I could sail back to the UK, or any other EU Member State at will wihout any liability for VAT.

Also, very importantly, I could carry boat's gear, tools, new items I had bought, food etc without needing to have invoices showing their cost etc.

In short I, and thousands of other owners of cruisers, have lost a freedom to do as we please; a freedom that hurt nobody.

How can that possiblty be justified?
The thing here is, you’re not going to convince any Brexiteer on this forum of that.

Poignard

Visit site
The thing here is, you’re not going to convince any Brexiteer on this forum of that.
That is true, at least not the trolls who only sail on English lakes, or don't leave UK waters, or don't sail at all.

But even if I can't convince any of the fools who voted for Brexit they were wrong I will never stop telling them so. ;)

goeasy123

Visit site
Can we be constructive here? Can I ask the forum.....

Is it realistic for the CA to be successful in getting more than 90/180?

What do they have to do to succeed?

What are the major hurdles to overcome? Are there any absolute deal stoppers?

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Ca we be constructive here? Can I ask the forum.....
No
They need to convince people in power that cutting off the UK from its nearest neighbours is a disaster.
The vote to leave the EU.

Dealstopper, fish.

nortada

Visit site
Ca we be constructive here? Can I ask the forum.....

Goeasy123 thank you for guiding this thread back to the matter in hand and away from the endless Brexit debate and Guys, whilst on the subject, please help to keep the Brexit debate in the right place, rather than in Liveaboard Link.

Goeasy123, whilst it would be very much in my best interests if Schengen were to change to 183/365 days, I fear the Covid fiasco, has further hardened attitudes; so what to do ❓

Continue to lobby anybody who will listen - more out of hope than expectation. One group that could help the cause are the mobile-home owners who like to winter in Southern Europe.

Unfortunately, the police in the Algarve have just initiated an ongoing crack down on wild camping which will further dissuade campers coming this way.

goeasy123

Visit site
Goeasy123, whilst it would be very much in my best interests if Schengen were to change to 183/365 days, I fear the Covid fiasco, has further hardened attitudes; so what to do
in answer.... I think the conversation lacks vision. All countries involved can benefit from tourism, where there are decision makers and influencers that will drive a positive agenda. Instead of building a case around something that can be sold to 'them', I see a lot of bleating about a plight and going cap in hand for a free hand out. The current strategy (or lack thereof?) is playing into the hands of the other influencers that oppose what could be achieved.

syvictoria

Visit site

The fact that the UK has already granted other countries 180 days when visiting the UK, which I understand can be doubled to 360 simply be leaving and re-entering/reapplying for a visa, thereby leaving us little to negotiate with...

Caladh

Visit site
The fact that the UK has already granted other countries 180 days when visiting the UK, which I understand can be doubled to 360 simply be leaving and re-entering/reapplying for a visa, thereby leaving us little to negotiate with...
Yes this strong argument can be forcefully put to our local MP’s and something our useless RYA can be lobbying for.

AndrewB

Visit site
The case for this is dead on its feet unless enough EU countries - e.g. Greece, Spain, Portugal, think they are going to lose serious revenue by limiting our length of stay to 90 days. And I doubt whether they will.

We are now in the same position that Americans, Canadians, Australians etc have been in for many years. Countries that allow EU residents to stay 180 days with the possibility of extension, while in exchange the EU offers just 90 days at a time with little possibility of extension. Why would the EU make an exception for us?

goeasy123

Visit site
The case for this is dead on its feet unless enough EU countries - e.g. Greece, Spain, Portugal, think they are going to lose serious revenue by limiting our length of stay to 90 days. And I doubt whether they will.

We are now in the same position that Americans, Canadians, Australians etc have been in for many years. Countries that allow EU residents to stay 180 days with the possibility of extension, while in exchange the EU offers just 90 days at a time with little possibility of extension. Why would the EU make an exception for us?
As I said....can we be constructive here?