Crossing the Pond with cvirus

Visit site
The talk of people returning from far away places made me wonder if any will be taking the chance of developing the virus whilst far from help.
If they go ashore to provision for the trip how long should they wait where they could receive treatment ?

Bilgediver

Visit site
There are many merchant seamen afloat at this time facing this problem. With so many borders closed they are finding that landing in foreign countries is often not allowed. This means no jollies ashore and also unfortunately they are unable to leave the ships to come home on leave and like wise relief crews are unable to enter many countries to join ships. Meanwhile the various countries want the cargoes so the ships keep trading.

Old Harry

Visit site
There are many merchant seamen afloat at this time facing this problem. With so many borders closed they are finding that landing in foreign countries is often not allowed. This means no jollies ashore and also unfortunately they are unable to leave the ships to come home on leave and like wise relief crews are unable to enter many countries to join ships. Meanwhile the various countries want the cargoes so the ships keep trading.
With Sailors Stranded, Shipping Faces a Hard Choice – gCaptain

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I glad I don't have to make that discussion, but we have a few friends who thinking sailing back to Europe maybe the best option , even if then they return over the pond at a later date , it seen by the conversation we had most would wait a good 10 days after supplying the boat before leaving , which mean extra food taken on board .

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Much agreed my Brother is stranded on his ship of Papa New Guinea , can not land in Singapore or Darwin now 2 weeks into his exit date,, trying to get him to Australia were he lives with his wife and daughter , still does not know when hes getting off

nortada

Visit site
Interestingly, Spanish Flu made the trip the other way around.

Having started life in the US, it was brought to Europe by American Troops during WW1.

The rest is history but to take Trumps lead to call CV19 Chinese Flu, possibly Spanish Flu should be renamed US or American Flu❓

Bajansailor

Visit site
I was working with the molasses tanker 'Lutsen' last night here in Barbados - she is discharging 10,000 mt of molasses to the rum distilleries here. I heard that the largest distillery (West Indies Rum Distillery) is now making medicinal alcohol to try to keep up with the worldwide demand, rather than the base alcohol used for rum.
Mount Gay is still distilling their rum so hopefully supplies will not run low too quickly (the Rum Pirate in St Kitts will be pleased to read this!)
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ai...694/mmsi:538006826/imo:9311646/vessel:LUTSEN/

And while there I saw various coaches with passengers, along with panel vans carrying their baggage, leaving the harbour around 2300 hrs. Turned out they were taking all of the surplus (to current requirements) crew from the Norwegian Spirit to the airport to get flights home. For many of these crew home is on the other side of the world, and they were probably looking at 3 or 4 different flights, and a few days of travelling.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ai...11746000/imo:9141065/vessel:NORWEGIAN_SPIRIT/

I also heard that all of the cruise ships have agreed to a further 100 day pause in operations - this might be the reason why they are now sending home many of their hotel staff.

Barbados has remained open to cruise ships when other islands in the Caribbean have closed their ports, and I heard that approx. 40,000 cruise passengers (and crew) have been sent home from here in the past 6 weeks or so.

capnsensible

Visit site
Correct.

I understand that as Spain was not involved in WW1, it was able to do the research into that virus asnd so it was named after the country that did the research.

Theories on the origin of Spanish Flu:- Spanish flu - Wikipedia
Dont think it was research, but reporting. From your link:

To maintain morale, World War I censors minimized early reports of illness and mortality in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States. Newspapers were free to report the epidemic's effects in neutral Spain, such as the grave illness of King Alfonso XIII, and these stories created a false impression of Spain as especially hard hit.