Crossing the channel and migrants?

Medskipper

Visit site
With so much being said about migrants rushing the tunnel I was wondering how Brits are getting on crossing the channel? Particularly to France.
Is there a lot more security these days in Calais? And are boats who cross the channel a target for migrants in the same way as lorry drivers?
The last time I crossed the channel was eight years ago and there was virtually no security and nobody checked your boat either, the only time I was ever boarded was going up the Thames.

just interested to know if there are problems these days?

dpb

Visit site
I am surprised that we don't hear of fleets of boats being stolen from continental marinas to come here.
Though I met a guy last week end who had bought a boat that had been recovered from a north kent beach after being stolen by immigrants in Belgium, though that was a few years ago!

ebbanflo

Visit site
We haven't been into Calais for a while, but security was reasonable and of course you can only exit the marina when they open the swing bridge. We were in Boulogne a few weeks ago and there were no (obvious) migrants. The French Border Agency / Customs boat is quite active and we have seen it more often recently and have been stopped by them in the past!
Security in Dover has always been good. With the TSS and port control you can bet someone is always watching you!

lanerboy

Visit site
Don't know what marina security is like in France but in some uk Marina's it's non existent

Our friends have just returned from a 6 week cruise and one stop was St Malo and whilst there they were nearly robbed at night by 3 immigrant looking men at 3am one morning, my friend was woken and went to investigate and found 3 men going through the cupboards in his Targa 47 cockpit. He told me that the marinas in that area are all public owned and no gates etc are allowed and the public can walk around the marina without being challenged. He has said he will not return as it really shook him up

Topcat47

Visit site
Cherbourg is pretty much open, too. Perhaps the secret is not to have a 47' er. No-one in their right mind would expect to find anything much of value on mine or be able to make landfall in the UK without the keys to the engine.

johng39

Visit site
Returned 2 weeks ago from a CI / France holiday. No challenges anywhere, but 2 Border Force boats off Dover and Ramsgate with binoculars on us. Hardly necessary to be fair as AIS would have given them all of the info they needed on our departure points etc.

We had one of our boats (Princess V48) in St Malo boarded at a hideous time in the morning (2.00am I think), but it was against the wall. Not sure whether they were looking to steal something or find a hiding place?? Not nice though for the crew involved.