Croatia vignette increases for 2018 (?)

Metabarca

Visit site
Coming from Trieste, the first (and most convenient) port of entry is Umago (Umag), where you can check in either at the town quay, as mentioned, or on the outer marina jetty, which is more convenient. And yes, there's a big communist-era tower on Punta Salvore that keeps a keen eye on all traffic. Don't forget to raise your Croatian courtesy flag as you enter their waters and DO NOT confuse it for the Slovene one...!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Did you invoke the pdf link I gave (this one) in that post where I copied the cost for Bob's 14m boat? It is the official Croatian Maritime "INFORMATION FOR BOATERS 2013" and I couldn't find any later edition. Perhaps you are not calculating the latest kuna-sterling rate.

No, as RupertW points out, there is some uncertainty that the threatened Sojourn tax imposition for 2018 will be implemented - let's hope not - but I gave the worst-case scenario in case they do continue with the original intention as published.

I didn't look at the pdf because it is not correct. This is the formula for the Vignette which has been unchanged for the last few years and is what I paid for 2017. I haven't yet paid for 2018 but I'm not aware of any changes:

Navigation fee is calculated using LOA and engine power: fee = 20 * Length + 2 * Engine in Kilowatts
For my 11.97 Metre yacht and 2 x 22KW engine = 20 * 11.97 + 4 * 22KW = HRK327.40

In addition, the following has to be added: HRK 110 Light Dues, HRK 40 Sea Fees, HRK 20 Chart Fees giving a total of Vignette for 2017 of HRK497.40 . This is what I actually paid the Harbourmaster so £50 - £60.

You misunderstand the Sojourn fees ..... I have actually paid in advance the same Sojourn tax for the year May 2018 - May 2019 as I paid last year irrespective of what the Government threatens or doesn't threaten. See my post #74 for more information. :)

Richard

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I didn't look at the pdf because it is not correct. This is the formula for the Vignette which has been unchanged for the last few years and is what I paid for 2017. I haven't yet paid for 2018 but I'm not aware of any changes:

Navigation fee is calculated using LOA and engine power: fee = 20 * Length + 2 * Engine in Kilowatts
For my 11.97 Metre yacht and 2 x 22KW engine = 20 * 11.97 + 4 * 22KW = HRK327.40

In addition, the following has to be added: HRK 110 Light Dues, HRK 40 Sea Fees, HRK 20 Chart Fees giving a total of Vignette for 2017 of HRK497.40 . This is what I actually paid the Harbourmaster so £50 - £60.

You misunderstand the Sojourn fees ..... I have actually paid in advance the same Sojourn tax for the year May 2018 - May 2019 as I paid last year irrespective of what the Government threatens or doesn't threaten. See my post #74 for more information. :)

Richard
Could there be two versions of the navigation fee (plus the other bits and bobs) for those resident in Croatia and those just visiting? There was never any calculation involving engine output when I have cleared in ... just a set price on length. Mind you, I haven't visited for the past couple of years so am probably not up-to-date.

I don't quite understand where I misunderstand the Sojourn tax ... I originally gave the previous scale with a further post to amend to the one publicised for 2018 and warned about in this thread, which may or may not be implemented for those arriving later this year. Just because you got in early last year to pay for 2018 when no one in authority knew what was policy for the next year doesn't ensure it will not be in effect for others later.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I don't quite understand where I misunderstand the Sojourn tax ... I originally gave the previous scale with a further post to amend to the one publicised for 2018 and warned about in this thread, which may or may not be implemented for those arriving later this year. Just because you got in early last year to pay for 2018 when no one in authority knew what was policy for the next year doesn't ensure it will not be in effect for others later.

All I said was "At least I'm not paying any more for the Sojourn tax this year" and you replied "No, as RupertW points out, there is some uncertainty that the threatened Sojourn tax imposition for 2018 will be implemented" so the bit you didn't understand is that the Croatia Government officially stated that if you renew your Sojourn tax for 2018 and renew it for the full year then you will only be charged at the 2017 rate. It's nothing to do with whether the new tax levels will be rescinded or not.

But it's not important now so don't worry about it. :)

Richard

BrianH

All I said was "At least I'm not paying any more for the Sojourn tax this year" and you replied "No, as RupertW points out, there is some uncertainty that the threatened Sojourn tax imposition for 2018 will be implemented" so the bit you didn't understand is that the Croatia Government officially stated that if you renew your Sojourn tax for 2018 and renew it for the full year then you will only be charged at the 2017 rate. It's nothing to do with whether the new tax levels will be rescinded or not.

But it's not important now so don't worry about it. :)

Richard

I have found my Croatian "Vignette" for 2014 (my last year there) and am prepared for some grovelling and humble pie scoffing.

It shows the sequence of costs as: 240, 110, 40, 20, totalling 410 HRK

Compared to 2012 (my previous year there) as: 840, 180, 40, 20, totalling 1080 HRK

I absolutely cannot remember that last visit in the HM office of Umag when they made any sort of calculation or of my pleasure at a much reduced amount. Well, it's all in funny money, innit.

I hope rtboss1 is noting that the Vignette cost will be less than half what I was quoting earlier.

Of course, Sojourn tax will be on top of that, whatever it ends up as.

Anyway, apologies to all.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I have found my Croatian "Vignette" for 2014 (my last year there) and am prepared for some grovelling and humble pie scoffing.

Compared to 2012 (my previous year there) as: 840, 180, 40, 20, totalling 1080 HRK

I absolutely cannot remember that last visit in the HM office of Umag when they made any sort of calculation or of my pleasure at a much reduced amount. Well, it's all in funny money, innit.

I hope rtboss1 is noting that the Vignette cost will be less than half what I was quoting earlier.

No Problem, I can aford a little more even though it hurts

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

Don't worry Barnacle .... it's all a bit like Alice in Wonderland. I do remember the HM telling me that the Vignette had gone down in price so I thought that was great and Croatia was heading in the right direction. Suddenly a few years later, the Sojourn tax suddenly goes up 400% but that might change. Who knows what the hell going on? :ambivalence:

Richard

jaba

Visit site
Agree: don't miss Croatia.
Here's the best (and free) guide/pilot for the Croatian coast. Download it and use G translate to get a pretty good idea of what you might be missing ;-)
Btw: the author, Italian, has been sailing along that coast for the last 30 + years and is a connoisseur of bays, islands, harbors, tavernas, restaurants, markets etc. You get many suggestions with pricing. He keeps the boat in Croatia and when he goes around almost never uses a marina. Enjoy.
http://www.giorgiolano.com/Il Giorgiolano 2017.pdf

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I think you would be crazy to miss the chance to cruise some of the best sailing areas the Mediterranean has to offer.

Yes, the entry cost is ridiculous and the marinas will be too - if you ever need to resort to any of them. But there is no need to as the islands and coast offer a multitude of anchoring possibilities.

The further south you sail the lovelier it gets, although so does the charter traffic, but that's a small price to pay.

Invest in a copy of the 777 Harbours & Anchorages: Eastern Adriatic - Croatia Slovenia & Montenegro 7th Ed 2017 guide and you will always find somewhere to get into.

kh-pil1501.jpg

I have tried Amazon, not in print,
Webster It, has it for £45 delivered

BrianH

I have tried Amazon, not in print,
Webster It, has it for £45 delivered
If the website is to be believed, you can download it here - as a pdf, Kindle or ePub file - with a one month free trial membership of eBookRich.com. I haven't used that site and it seems too good to be true - especially as all the testimonials with their names do not have an authentic ring to them. In addition, they explain they do not have the books themselves but provide links to where they are available ... hmm. Could be a scam, proceed with care if interested.

I myself have the German-language 888 version by the original Austrian author, Karl-Heinz Beständig, who sells it directly for €29.90 (£26) - see here.

He couldn't keep up with the English translation version (original now up to edition 31) so allowed some publishers to franchise his creation and translate into English, Italian and Croatian ... it is they who now charge a price so much more than the last English version, for example, that K-H. Beständig published.

They also made a marketing decision to keep the 777 title but incorporate all the same changes and updates, translated, that comprise the original and current German 888 version.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
This is true, it's worth having whatever the language.

Below is a sample from an old, 14th edition, German-language version 777 of 2001 that I happen to have at home - two other, including the 2017 version, are on board in Italy.

777-D.jpg

Sorry, I can get in to enough bother with the English version, I would need to understand every word in that book before I would use it to assist in navigating an unknown sailing area .Cheaper to buy an expensive English language one ,than a new keel or boat.... lol

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Well, I am going to drive down to Trieste this week to have a look at a yacht and then on to Greece if I buy her, to collect a shed load of electronic equipment.
Two questions.
1/ Is it an easy drive down or should I stay a night in Munich? "Brenner pass"
2/ Would you carry on to Ancona for the ferry or drive Slovenia,Serbia. Macedonia as it to Athens I will be going

Metabarca

Visit site
As I wrote to you, I would recommend the Tarvisio route over the Brenner. In terms of cost, probably about the same: you pay a vignette for Austria irrespective of km, and you pay for the Brenner as also for the two Tauern tunnels. But you will be paying less in Italy. There will be less traffic on the eastern route, although this isn't much of an issue over the weekend. It's a hell of a trip to do in one day, though. I would overnight it.
Fill up in Austria, preferably off the motorway, and then fill up again in Slovenia (20 minutes from Monfalcone, either at Nova Gorica or Sezana); it's 30 cents per litre cheaper there.
An alternative to driving through the Balkans or the Ancona ferry is to catch the ferry in Venice; both Minoan and Anek serve this route. I suspect, current politics being what they are, that the border from FYR of Macedonia and Greece could be very slow-moving (but I've no specific information on this).
Places for a meal in Monfalcone: Il Vitigno in via S. Vincenzo de Paoli for quick bite and glass of wine; Osteria All Fortuna in Via Garibaldi slightly more restaurantish. If you want a good fish meal by the sea, head for Dama Bianca in Duino, right down by the little port (ten mins from Monf).

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Via Michelin give three routes Innsbrook, Plockenpass or Salzburg to Ljubljana /

I will be there Thursday night, on Friday I informally view the boat and if happy will have a sea trial with the survey on Monday.
You will be welcome if you are around to get your beer :) My Austrian friend will come on Saturday until Wednesday the 21st

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Via Michelin give three routes Innsbrook, Plockenpass or Salzburg to Ljubljana /

I will be there Thursday night, on Friday I informally view the boat and if happy will have a sea trial with the survey on Monday.
You will be welcome if you are around to get your beer :) My Austrian friend will come on Saturday until Wednesday the 21st

Several times a year we cross the Channel around 11:00, avoid the French tolls and slow roads by going NE to Brussels, then Aachen (after, Aachen it's pedal to the metal for 500 miles,) Koln, Frankfurt then a motel in Nuremburg (IBIS Budget right on motorway) then Munich, Salzburg across the Alps, through the Karavanke Tunnel and through to Lubljana.

We then SE to Croatia but you would head SW for Trieste.

This is the cheapest and, by far, the fastest route if you don't mind gunning it.

Richard